Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

How can I delete/remove an (Empty) desktop file?

I have Windows XP, SP3 (Home Edition), Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz, 768 MB of RAM.
I have been trying desperately to remove a file on my desktop, all to no avail. It was originally a photo saved to my desktop from, I believe, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I have long ago deleted the picture, but the file icon remains on my desktop. I have tried everything (including renaming, "save as...", etc.), and the internet has provided many suggestions, but none of them worked. Some suggestions were way too complicated, and they sounded a bit dangerous. I have tried using the command prompt (many times), but it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

cougarkitten has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I delete/remove an (Empty) desktop file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I delete/remove an (Empty) desktop file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cougarkitten

Collapse -
Tried "Unlocker" Yet?

In reply to: How can I delete/remove an (Empty) desktop file?

Collapse -
Not sure

In reply to: Tried "Unlocker" Yet?

I noticed that unilocker's listed error message samples didn't include: "Cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source file or disk". I will try it anyway, thank you.

Collapse -
Re: file

In reply to: Not sure

That message usually means the file doesn't exist anymore.

So can you tell what happens if you go into the command prompt and browse to your desktop folder:
- can you see the file in a dir-command?
- what error message do you get if you delete it from there?

Kees

Collapse -
SUCCESS!

I can't believe how easy it was! It deleted it quickly (and to think; I'd been trying to delete it for months now). Thank you SO much, and thank you to all who replied!

Collapse -
unlocker

this is very useful software,it work very simple and effective!! Love it!!

Thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
Here I use

The start button. I type in DESKTOP and I see the directory of the desktop. I usually can delete it there. If not, log out and into your spare admin account then head to that folder and from your spare admin account, delete it.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Here's how I do it.

Create a folder then drag and drop it into the undelete-able folder. Now try deleting it. Good luck.

Collapse -
No luck

In reply to: Here's how I do it.

Sorry, but that didn't work either.

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks for nothing, Grif.

UNLOCKER is full of MALWARE. I just barely saved my laptop by doing a system restore in safe mode. Do they pay you people to advertise malware in forums?

Collapse -
Report notes it now has Babylon.

In reply to: Thanks for nothing, Grif.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.