Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How Can I Delete a Corrupted File that Cannot be Deleted?

by BlackBart1955 / June 23, 2007 3:58 AM PDT

I am running Windows XP Professional. I am trying to delete some of my Internet links from my Favorite Folder, but the error message I get is "Cannot Delete [name of link]: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I have tried overwriting it with a file of the same file name, but I only get a new error message which says, "Cannot move [name of link]: A file with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different file name".

I have even tried shifting to Safe Mode, but to no avail. I still get the same messages.

When I double-click on these files, I get the error message saying, "The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet property sheet and make sure the target is correct". I cannot even move them out of the folder into another one that I made that I named "Dead Shortcuts". When I tried to move them, I got yet another error message saying, "Cannot move [name of link]: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable".

When I open Properties, nothing is there except the "General" tab. There is no "Web Document" tab or "Security" tab.

Does anyone know a trick I could use to delete these files?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Can I Delete a Corrupted File that Cannot be Deleted?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Can I Delete a Corrupted File that Cannot be Deleted?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forcibly delete it...

You can use MoveOnBoot to forcibly delete each file, one by one, the next time you restart your computer. Just install and point it to each favorite, found in C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Favorites. It should be able to take care of it for you.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Sounded like a good idea
by BlackBart1955 / June 23, 2007 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Forcibly delete it...

I tried it, but didn't get very far. On "Page 1 of 3" where it asks me to put in the file name or find the file, it gives me an error message saying, "The above file name is invalid".

I found an article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, but what they recommend is to make a backup, format the hard drive, and then run the backup except for those files. However, I don't know how they expect me to do that when the drive in question is the Windows drive.

Windows Backup does not work without Windows installed and working, and the other backup program that I have, Acronis True Image, is great for making full backups, but backuping and restoring individual files, because it sometimes gets the files corrupted in restoring them. That is how this problem happened.

Collapse -
Did you run chkdsk to correct ...
by Kees Bakker / June 23, 2007 5:17 AM PDT

a possible file system error?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks but that didn't work either.
by BlackBart1955 / June 23, 2007 11:04 AM PDT

I tried the "chkdsk /f" option, but it doesn't work.

Maybe this IS a file system error, but it was caused by my using Acronis True Image to restore those individual files. I forgot that it is useless for that function because it is not reliable. It is great for making full backups and for restoring the entire partition, but not for restoring individual files, because it sonetimes corrupts them in the process.

Collapse -
I Figured it Out!
by BlackBart1955 / June 24, 2007 4:19 AM PDT

First, I'll tell you what did not work. I decided to try a wiping program, so I downloaded "Eraser 5.7". Then I tried to wipe the entire folder, but that didn't work either.

When that didn't work, I wondered if it were really a system file error, or if it was because of the way Windows XP interacts with the file system, locking it in so it could not be erased or wiped. I decided that what I needed was something that works when Windows is turned off. Boot-up floppies are useless now, since the invention of Windows XP, because now they do not recognize the hard drive. It would have to be a bootable disk utility.

Then I remembered that I did have such a utility: "Acronis Disk Director Suite". With that program, though, I cannot just delete individual files, so I had to think of a different route:

Once I booted up with the "Acronis Bootable Rescue Media" CD and started the "Acronis Disk Director Suite", I clicked on "Split Partitions". Then I told it to split those bad files and folders from the rest of the partition. This creates a separate partition with only those files on it. Once that was created, I deleted the new partition, telling it to wipe it clean, and then I resized the original partition to recover this now unallocated space.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.