HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

how can i clean my system registry?

by barspinboy / April 23, 2008 6:18 PM PDT

im having troubles since i uninstall some of my apps, then when i checked my system registry bunch of junks were left behind by the apps i already uninstall. is there any way i could clean my registry aside from expensive registry cleaners. my computer suffers from crash and slow start up. please give me advice so i can clear up my registry from junks. thanks for those who will reply.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how can i clean my system registry?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how can i clean my system registry?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The PC HARDWARE answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2008 9:55 PM PDT

Change hard disks? You may want to ask in the forum that matches your OS.

In closing the cleaners seem to not cure your issue for Windows XP and Vista. Registry cleaners did work on the old Windows 98 machines and days.
Bob

Collapse -
The OS answer.
by Kees Bakker / April 23, 2008 10:01 PM PDT

Use regedit to delete the 'bunch of junks' you found. Regedit is free.

But depending on which applications it were (can you tell?) it's somewhat doubtful there will be less crashes and faster setup.

Kees

Collapse -
Take heed ...
by Willy / April 23, 2008 11:14 PM PDT

I tend to use CCleaner(google for it) as a registry(and system) cleaner. Using its defaults does pretty well. In no way will it cure any hardcore problems as you mentioned, "crashes", but it should clean some of the junk out. I further suggest, if you already know the location of junk files, directories, registry, etc., delete them manually using regedit. Make darn sure its the proper action to take. You can use the restore(create) point feature of MS to help in case you hose your system. Then defrag the HD to help consolidate it. If you had any "hic-cups" during the un-install, try reloading the problem app/pgm. and re-use its uninstall feature or the add/remove from MS.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Try RegSeeker
by caktus / April 24, 2008 8:00 AM PDT
http://majorgeeks.com/RegSeeker_d2579.html

It's free and pretty safe to use
automatic. Then clean out temp files (don't compress any files or use Indexing.) If the c drive is compressed, then uncompress it. Then defrag as Willy suggested.

Charlie
Collapse -
thanks guyz!
by barspinboy / April 24, 2008 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Try RegSeeker

i tried all those suggestions you mentioned ccleaners regedit defragmentation and uninstalling process. It all worked out and i suffer no more from crashes and slow start up! but when i was doing the regedit version, i was so nervous that i might delete a wrong file so before i started the regedit, i study first the apps/prgm i installed and uninstalled and then proceed to the deleting process and it went very well. so when i boot my pc i smile because in less than a second after my windows start up my desktop shows and my system tray work faster now. thankz guyz i luv this forum!

Collapse -
Glad you got it worked out :-)
by caktus / April 24, 2008 2:57 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks guyz!

Another utility that may interest you is The Emergency Recovery Utility NT (ERUNT) Unlike System Restore, ERUNT backs up the entire registry and when it is used to restore the system it actually removes the many orphaned files left behind by many applications that have been uninstalled. If you download it, read the readme.txt file for a lot of interesting info. But in spite of what is says about disabling System Restore, I suggest not disabling System Restore (except to remove pests) as two back ups are always better than one. ERUNT backups can also be copied to a cd for safe keeping. As long as the ERUNT program is installed on the cd or the computer you can restore with it. The web page also has a Registry Optimizer, but it is rarely necessary to use such a utility. These apps are free of spy ware and such and the price (free) can't be beat.

Charlie

Collapse -
still works great, EasyCleaner
by James Denison / April 25, 2008 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks guyz!
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Great for cleaning out registry references to files that no longer exist on the drive. Doesn't do anything for getting rid of duplicate entries that sometimes occur in the registry. That latter rarely causes any problem though other than unneccessary reg bloat.
Collapse -
RE: duplicate entries
by caktus / April 25, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

Gotta be careful about removing duplicate entries as some apps require their own dedicated dll's, etc. Learned about that the hard way when using an app designed to remove such which was touted as "totally safe". Perhaps I'm just paranoid but since then when I suspect something is a duplicate I usually just leave it be, and in any case I don't use software for the job.

Charlie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.