Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How can I avoid being disconnected numerous times everyday?

by bjp19 / February 5, 2011 10:11 PM PST

I am interrupted numerous times every day by this message: "A network cable is unplugged." Yet nothing is unplugged.

I am able to get online. But I am constantly interrupted by a balloon message pointing to the local area connection icon in the tray in the lower right saying: "A network cable is unplugged," then a second or two later, another message saying, "Local Area Connection is now connected."

I have used all possible solutions provided on many websites but nothing has helped me to solve the problem. I have unplugged all cables, have even switched and used different cables; have tried to repair the connection by clicking on the connection icon in the tray, have changed the connection speed, and so forth, but nothing has helped me. All the cables are plugged in well, and I hear them click when I unplug and plug them in again.

I use Windows XP Home SP3, and a Dell Pentium IV: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.60GHz, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce4MX 420.

Is there a software, preferably a free one, I can use to overcome the problem so that I stay connected to the Internet all the time without being disconnected every few minutes and being interrupted by the message: "A network cable is unplugged - Local Area Connection is now connected"?

I have high-speed Internet.

Or is there a Windows XP repair program I can use?

My Network Connections say:

LAN or High-Speed Internet
Local Area Connection
Connected, Firewalled
NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter

I did not have this problem until about three months ago.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I avoid being disconnected numerous times everyday?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I avoid being disconnected numerous times everyday?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: all possible solutions.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 12:26 AM PST

The experiments (a.k.a. possible solutions) I don't read about in your post:
- other network card
- other router/modem
- clean install of OS + drivers

And please come back if those 3 combined don't make a difference.

Kees

Collapse -
How can I avoid being disconnected numerous times everyday?
by bjp19 / February 7, 2011 2:41 PM PST

I don't know exactly how to check the "other network card" and the "other router/modem" if that may be the cause of the problem.

I also don't know how to turn off the modem to see if that can help. I don't see any on/off button on it. The modem is (Z) Zhone.

Collapse -
Re: unplugged cable
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 7, 2011 4:13 PM PST

As far as I know, this is a strictly local hardware oriented message your PC gives if there's nothing found at the other end of the cable (that's the modem). It's not important all what is on the other side of the modem (the ISP and the Internet).

To localise the problem:
- Find a (friend or family member with) a laptop and see if that gives the same error when connected instead of your desktop.
- More involving: take your desktop with you to a friend or family member and see if it gives the same error connected to their broadband.

To elaborate on my suggestions:
1. Buy and install another network card in your PC.
2. Buy a router or switch and put that between the current modem and the PC. The PC is connected then to that device and shouldn't complain (which doesn't mean all connections up to google or cnet will be working if something else is wrong).

Kees

Collapse -
Network cable...
by bjp19 / February 20, 2011 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: unplugged cable

There's nothing wrong with the Ethernet card or with the cables. I have checked out all that.

I don't know if you think this software can help solve the problem:
WinSockFix 1.1.0.13 - a free Winsock/Tcp repair utility?

Is it safe to use or will it make things worse and may be even ruin my computer even if I use System Restore?

Collapse -
(NT) What does your Internet provider say about signal strength?
by Cursorcowboy / February 6, 2011 10:12 PM PST
Collapse -
How can I avoid being disconnected numerous times everyday/
by bjp19 / February 7, 2011 2:47 PM PST

I have not asked my Internet Service Provider (ISP) about signal strength. But what I remember now is that the problem started the same day I got a new ISP. I did not have this problem with my previous Internet Service Provider. But I wrongly assumed the problem was being caused by my previous provider because I had not had that service cancelled when I got a new ISP. I later found out that even after I had that service cancelled, the problem continued.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!