Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How can I automatically wake my computer from standby mode?

I run windows xp pro on pentium 2 with tons of disk space. I want to schedule my defrag, antivirus, and antispyware at night. Leaving the computer on would solve this but the fan is very noisy and prohibits this. Presently I schedule standby mode after an hour of inactivity around the time I have things scheduled. As you can see this is hit or miss.
Any ideas out there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I automatically wake my computer from standby mode?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I automatically wake my computer from standby mode?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wakeup

In the bios you can usually set it to come off standby with activity from an IRQ channel - thinks like mouses and modems - but its a catch 22 trying any software because you have to wake the hard disk up! No doubt there is something you can plug into a com port to wake up at certain time. One thing you could do if you have a dialup modem is get your mobile to ring your modem at a certain time - just a thought!!!!!!!!! or just sit your mouse on your mobile and set the alarm on it
Peter

Collapse -
It's a Bios Thing!

In reply to: How can I automatically wake my computer from standby mode?

I have several boards so there is a difference in the "Wake on Alarm" feature The one that I have in front of me has a "Powerup Control Feature" found in the Power Menu. It allows me to resume on many things such as mouse, keyboard, modem ring, and a RTC, (Real Time Clock) event that allows setting the exact time that I want the machine to power up. If I wanted to I could put the item that I wanted done in the Startup under Programs and set the clock and the machine would boot up and run the programed event.

On another board it is called "Resume by Alarm" which does the exact same thing. Look around in your BIOS for such a setting.

Collapse -
Thanks for that

In reply to: It's a Bios Thing!

Unfortunately my bios doesn't have it.
Peter

Collapse -
Where to look for the Bios

In reply to: It's a Bios Thing!

Where do I look for the Bios settings?

Collapse -
Bios

In reply to: Where to look for the Bios

Your computer manual will explain how to enter the bios - sometimes call "setup" - usually at first boot tap on the "DEL" key. Your computer manual will also explain the different section - if you are able to set the timer in the power settings it should be listed in the manual.
Peter

Collapse -
To enter BIOS,...

In reply to: Where to look for the Bios

....look for the information at the bottom of your monitor screen when you boot up. "To enter setup, press.....".

Collapse -
(NT) Some times it is at the top right! lol!

In reply to: To enter BIOS,...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.