Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How bizarre.......

by lylesg / January 1, 2005 11:17 AM PST

for one to want to have a perfectly healthy body limb amputated in order to feel like a whole person.
Apparently, this is a growing mental disorder and the wife just watched a documentary about it titled Whole. This is no joke and at first I just shook my head hearing about the film. She then told me about some of the stories, so I decided to do a search and found the following website at MSN - medical examiner Health and medicine explained.
Costing an Arm and a Leg

Many of them, the wannabees, have wanted to be amputees since childhood and know exactly where they want an extremity to end. Most of the wannabees, appear by all accounts from friends and family to be perfectly normal otherwise and many are well educated.

The more common mental disorders I hear about daily (it seems) are sad enough and I have sympathy for any-one person, or family dealing with a mental disorder. As for the criminal ones, I usually call the them mean sob?s and get along with my business. But, after reading about the wannabees I am finding such sympathy for those folks it?s making me think about the more common disorders and how tough things can be for the one suffering as well as their families.

Whole, a riveting new documentary by Melody Gilbert that recently premiered at the Los Angeles Film Festival and will soon be shown at festivals in Calgary and London, is about an increasingly visible group of people who call themselves "amputee wannabes." Wannabes desperately wish to have their healthy limbs removed, and some have succeeded in having it done. Kevin, a university lecturer and one of several wannabes featured in the film, had his leg amputated by Robert Smith, a surgeon in Scotland who has amputated the legs of two otherwise healthy people. George Boyer shot his own leg off with a shotgun. Others have used chain saws and homemade guillotines. Why? Nobody really knows, including the wannabes themselves, who often say they have had the desire since they were children. "It's obviously peculiar," admits Kevin. "But knowing it is peculiar and saying it is weird does not do away with the problem."

By all indications, the number of people identifying themselves as wannabes is growing. Robert Smith, the Scottish surgeon, has six more acceptable candidates for amputation. A popular wannabe listserv, whose membership was 1,400 two and a half years ago, has 3,670 subscribers today. A group of clinicians at Columbia University has set up a Web site to provide information about the condition. They are redefining it as "Body Integrity Identity Disorder." In the meantime, psychiatrists are no closer to understanding the condition, and they are proposing no therapy other than amputation.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How bizarre.......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How bizarre.......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very interesting information
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / January 1, 2005 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: How bizarre.......

Thank you.

Sigh! what a sad mental state. I wonder what the health care system say about this issue.
Health Insurances?

CL

Collapse -
QUITE bizarre!
by Cindi Haynes / January 1, 2005 12:33 PM PST

Hi mojo,

I'd never heard of such a thing! What gets me is "Robert Smith, the Scottish surgeon, has six more acceptable candidates for amputation." What does this guy think constitutes ACCEPTABLE candidates when they want perfectly healthy limbs removed? He sounds stranger than the sufferers!

I hope they can figure out a way to help these people before they lose their limbs.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
If they've felt this way since childhood, it must be a
by Kiddpeat / January 1, 2005 1:49 PM PST

normal preference. Isn't that what we so frequently hear? What would you call it? Limb preference?

Collapse -
re
by MKay / January 1, 2005 6:12 PM PST

The only part I;d like to shed is my love handles. :-)But This is really an unfortunate disorder. And very difficult to understand. But I do sympathize with the afflicted.

Collapse -
i blame Tony Bennet
by jonah jones / January 1, 2005 7:25 PM PST

ever since he visited San Fransisco, he hasn't been the same

Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Doing well for a guy with no pulse, though !!!!
by Ziks511 / January 2, 2005 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: i blame Tony Bennet
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.