Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How big is Texas. . .

by Coryphaeus / February 16, 2004 5:06 AM PST

El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas.

King Ranch is larger than Rhode Island.

Beaumont to El Paso: 742 miles, Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How big is Texas. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How big is Texas. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How big is Texas. . .
by Josh K / February 16, 2004 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: How big is Texas. . .

A Texan is bragging to a Jew about the size of his ranch. He proudly says, "If I get in my car at six in the morning and drive ALL DAY, by the time the sun goes down I still haven't reached the other end of my ranch!"

The Jew nodds his head in understanding and says wistfully, "I once had a car like that...."

Happy

Collapse -
It is a little smaller than Idaho, or Colorado, or Montana. . .
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2004 5:46 AM PST

if we could iron out all the wrinkles where the Rockies, and Bitterroot ranges run through. Wink

Collapse -
You forgot another one ...
by Bill Osler / February 16, 2004 8:04 AM PST

IIRC the distance from El Paso to Texarkana is about the same as the distance from Texarkana to the East Coast.

My Texas History class (7th or 8th grade, while living in Lubbock) was a long time ago, but I remember they made a big deal about that kind of stuff.

Collapse -
A friend from Alaska...
by Dick White / February 16, 2004 10:09 AM PST

told me that when it was admitted as a state, Texas was sooo p.o.'d that they weren't the biggest state anymore. Alaska offered to be divided in half, but that just would have made Texas the third largest state.

dw

Collapse -
That idea was mentioned to 'Mr Sam'
by Bo Boggs / February 16, 2004 9:23 PM PST

(Sam Rayburn, Speaker of the house) and he replied:

Well, we'll just get a few of our buddies together and throw a party in Alaska. When we are done chopping ice for our drinks, y'all will be the size of Rhode Island.

Bo

Collapse -
Big enough to split into 5 states, gain 8 senators...
by James Denison / February 16, 2004 1:49 PM PST

...and every new state still be bigger than any of the New England states. Maybe not such a bad idea. Sure would tip the power scales in Washington DC.

Collapse -
Gerrymandered Borders...
by Blake Cook / February 16, 2004 5:35 PM PST
Sure would tip the power scales in Washington DC. - James Denison

In what way? Are you assuming that each state would become a Republican dominated state? Maybe if they gerrymandered the borders of each new state, it could happen. Otherwise, splitting Texas into 8 separate states might just lead to 4 new Republican and 4 new Democratic dominated states...
Collapse -
Assumptions can take a lot of different forms
by Roger NC / February 16, 2004 8:31 PM PST

Funny, I didn't see where James indicated anything about Republican vs Democratic, conservative vs liberal, or any other idealogica views.

What I read indicated he thought the New England states had too much influence. Since he mentioned each section of Texas would be bigger than any of the New England states, I made the assumption that he thought that those states had too much influence for their population and (at least his view) their actual importance to the union.

If I had to guess, I agree I'd expect overall for James to support Republican candidates over Democratic in idealogy.

But his post seemed to be about regional power, not necessarily left/right idealogy.

So who's making assumptions?

Collapse -
Yep, Regional impact.
by James Denison / February 16, 2004 11:09 PM PST

I could see it making a difference in laws about gun control, abortion, moral issues, and trade policies, without there being much difference on whether the person elected was Dem or Repub.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.