Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How are LED DLPs?

by SephirothXR / August 19, 2007 8:29 AM PDT

I was considering this one, a great deal!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000F2P32S/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-1080799-0019238?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ASH1H6YCFH4EF&v=glance#productDetails
I've heard things like they have lower black levels than LCDs, but is it really noticeable? If the room was pitch black, maybe the human eye could notice a difference. But would this be fine for HD gaming/HD broadcasts? Is it almost as good as LCDs?

Also, is there a huge difference between Slim LEDs and LEDs?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000F2P32S/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-1080799-0019238?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ASH1H6YCFH4EF&v=glance#productDetails

Are Slim ones better, or they're just more $ because they're a lot slimmer?

LCDs are naturally better, but by how much? I don't have $5000 to spend on a 50" 1080p LCD, so that's why I think LED DLPs are better to buy, but are they really as good as they say they are?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How are LED DLPs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How are LED DLPs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I love my LED DLP...
by Kingp1n / August 19, 2007 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: How are LED DLPs?
Collapse -
Read c/net reviews. Nice tech idea, implementation less
by NM_Bill / August 20, 2007 1:52 AM PDT

than great picture. The current model (2nd generation) didn't address the so-so picture quality issue. A pity. If Sammy would work on the picture it would be an absolute killer product.

Collapse -
GREAT IDEA, BOTCHED EXECUTION BY SAMSUNG............
by Riverledge / August 20, 2007 8:41 AM PDT

TRY AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

River.

Collapse -
Just asking...
by Kingp1n / August 20, 2007 11:08 PM PDT

have either of you actually seen the LED DLP from Samsung in action? And not in a electronics store. Because I run HD from my DISH box, PS3 (games and movies), and Toshiba HD-DVD movies, and it all look fantastic.

Collapse -
Light output
by motorheadache95 / August 30, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

In the C-Net review, they lowered the light output to 40ftl. Does anyone know exactly how they did this? Black is to light on this thing with it's full light output, and these sets have a software bug that doesn't allow you to close the aperture to cut the light level in half. Any ideas?

Collapse -
HEWRE IS A T.V. TO CHECK OUT
by stewart norrie / August 20, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

And yes I own is now 15 months old and love it Toshiba 72HM195 I paid $4600 with stand now I see them on sale for a tad over $2000 with stand. 1080I picture is outstanding and 1080P with my new blue ray player is razor sharp 70 m.m. film quality The only issue I have had was lamp blew after 4 months contactad Toshiba and was told lamp was factory defective sent a updated lamp in two day and that was a year ago and still blazing brite I was also given an extra year warrenty on lamp A replacement lamp is $199 and takes two minutes to replace yourself. a 72" screen at 8ft. is like being in the sweet spot in a movie theater I think $2000 for a theater size screen is a cool deal steweee

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!