General discussion

How am I going to get Mail.app and Gmail to marry?

I've exhausted the best part of my brain looking for a way to continue using my venerable Apple iBook, OS X,10.3.9, Mail 1.3.9, all of which I still revere. It works fine for me, I'm mostly an email kind of guy who works off his lap while gmail labors in the background. When things were harmonious, Mail and gmail worked well together. For the past 10 days, Mail has neither sent nor received a single piece of mail. (Happily, I'm not totally dead, gmail has been solid as a rock. To remedy Mail's failure, I need Google's configuration instructions to start looking for errors in my settings. I'm an inveterate tweaker, and I'm sure I tweaked something when I should have baked a cake. If there's a solitary soul out there who can help me, I'd be very grateful.

Well meaning friends have repeatedly referred me to Google's web site where the elusive "configuration instructions" for Mail.app can be found and I must repeatedly tell them that the instructions at the web site are for Mail 3.0 and up. Remember, I need the settings for Mail 1.3.9! I should state now, I have no interest in IMAP, I use POP exclusively. Be there someone.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How am I going to get Mail.app and Gmail to marry?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How am I going to get Mail.app and Gmail to marry?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This is just a wild guess, but,

if all you are interested in is POP then the settings for almost any mail program, regardless of vintage, would be essentially the same.

Just plug in the mail servers for GMail and you should be hot to trot.

P

- Collapse -
Answering previous post

Yours is a refreshing view, I hadn't quite looked at it that way before. But I think that it's the "almost" in your thought that stops me in my tracks.

After sweating blood on a previous incident, I learned that - smtp,gmail.com - wasn't good enough for Gmail. What they demanded ? smtp.gmail.com,(your user name).gmail.com. If you didn't enter it exactly as shown, you were dead in the water. I think I need to know exactly what gmail wants in the way of settings, and give it to them.

- Collapse -
re: Gmail settings

The format you need is:

smtp.gmail.com:username@gmail.com

Note the colon and @ in lieu of comma and period that you typed.

rgds,
centurion48

- Collapse -

Thanks a lot, I've gotten 474 pieces of email and there a few still dribbling in. I'm kidding, of course, I owe you thanks for pointing out where I should get busy. I went to my outgoing mail server, deleted two former servers, and changed (:.) to (:), it's a wonder I wasn't killed in the deluge.

Thanks a lot and I'm not joking around this time.

CNET Forums