PC Applications forum

General discussion

How 2 empty files from folder & subfolder but leave folders

I want to clean out all my (rather well-aged) files accumulated over the years in my Downloads Folder. The subfolders are well organized so I want to retain the entire heirarchy of the folders/subfolders but just get rid of all the software that I have downloaded. Most of the software will not be accessed again, and most that will have a newer version, so time to start filling it up again from fresh.

Is there a single command to do this without having to go folder by folder? In case there is not, is there a copy function that will copy just the folder and subfolder structure without the files? TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How 2 empty files from folder & subfolder but leave folders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How 2 empty files from folder & subfolder but leave folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any freeware or command line possibilites

In reply to: Link only.

Thanks, but it is a bit dear for this simple one time need. I hope to find freeware, or more likely, a simple command line way to delete the files, or to copy the directory structure only. I once knew how, but am having trouble finding an explanation to refresh me.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) XCOPY /T /E ????

In reply to: Any freeware or command line possibilites

Collapse -
more xcopy

In reply to: (NT) XCOPY /T /E ????

Thanks for yours, and

from command line: " xcopy /? | more "
gives a complete switch listing which includes:

/I If destination does not exist and copying more than one file, assumes that destination must be a directory.

so in your opinion, should /i be included with the ones listed in your post? TIA

Collapse -
Try it.

In reply to: more xcopy

Since it's a copy and doesn't affect the originals, you can test it till it's ok.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.