HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how

by kwokwai -space4english / February 24, 2006 12:29 AM PST

I have just got a new HDD of 80GB.
Apart from XP Disc, is there any tool for making partitions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why use another else.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: how

Go native and avoid any issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Sure
by joesmithers06 / February 24, 2006 12:41 AM PST

There's Partition Magic, any Linux install CD will have a copy of fdisk on it, once XP is installed the disk management tool. Probably a few others I'm forgetting.

BTW, might want to consider a more descriptive subject for any future posts. In this case, something like "disk partitioning" would have been a good choice. You're likely to get more people to read your post, and thus a better chance of someone ANSWERING it.

Collapse -
Sorry, but
by kwokwai -space4english / February 25, 2006 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: Sure

The XP install Disc doesn't provide the option to format a specific partition.
I have to reinstall the OS again, but the OS has been installed in Partition C.
I have no idea for how to install the OS in the partition C!
It just provides "Delete Partition", "Add Partition", and "Install Windows to the selected Partition".
There is no tool found in the disc to format the Partition C.

Collapse -
The option to Install...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2006 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry, but
Collapse -
Did you mean this?
by kwokwai -space4english / February 25, 2006 4:08 PM PST

There is an option "Install Windows to the selected Partition" in the Xp Install Disc.
If I chose this option, it will warn me that there is already a WIndows installed in that partition...
if I tried to install the new Windows in that partition, I don't know what would happen then!

Collapse -
Yes, that is what I meant.
by Edward ODaniel / February 26, 2006 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Did you mean this?

however upon re-reading your post it appears that Windows is currently located on the Primary Partion and the option to delete the partition will might not work because of the other partitions.

If you simply choose to install over the existing installation the corrupted files will be replaced. This is sometimes called a repair installation and here is a link to doing such step by step with graphics of each step.
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Collapse -
Look through the sections at this . . .
by Cursorcowboy / February 25, 2006 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry, but

"site" and I believe you'll find in the latter part of Section 3 reflects the screen you're interested in.

a. But. I sure don't understand where we're supposed to be going with this. Your first question was:

"I have just got a new HDD of 80GB.
Apart from XP Disc, is there any tool for making partitions? "

b. Now it seems the question has taken on a different scenario:

"The XP install Disc doesn't provide the option to format a specific partition.
I have to reinstall the OS again, but the OS has been installed in Partition C.
I have no idea for how to install the OS in the partition C!"

Collapse -
thanks
by kwokwai -space4english / February 26, 2006 12:19 AM PST

Thank you so much!
I think the web-site has solved most of my questions, but what it needed is a "Windows XP Home CD".
I wonder if all the steps are the same for users who have Windows XP Professional CD instead!

Collapse -
Basically Robert is correct, however
by Ray Harinec / February 25, 2006 12:58 AM PST

if, prchance you wanted to format the entire drive to FAT 32, XP will not allow more than 32 GB. To do 80 GB of FAT32, and you still have a floppy drive, use a Win 98 boot floppy to run FDISK and format it. Make certain that it has the latest FDISK, and then be aware that when you format after using the new FDISK the intial size report in format will be in error completly wrong size, however it will actually format it properly. Easy to check after formatting is done.

Collapse -
no
by kwokwai -space4english / February 25, 2006 4:11 PM PST

What I would like to do is to format a particular partition so that I can install the Windows XP; but the only problem was that the partition has previously got a Windows installed, I think it would be better to format the partition before install a new Windows!

Right?

Collapse -
I suspect that Ed O'Daniel's reply
by Ray Harinec / February 26, 2006 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: no

to you should solve your problem.

If he is incorrect let me know and I'll report him to management. LOL Just kidding you, Ed is one of the many good people here.

Collapse -
Partitioning,
by billzhills / February 25, 2006 3:05 AM PST

XP on install allows you to create a sized primary partition for Windows install(Never less than 20 gig). After install you can partition the balance of the drive in Disk Managment under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. if you permited Xp to use the entire drive on install then you must use a third party application to re-size the drive. (cross your fingers)

I only create two partitions. One for apps and windows, the other for files (hold over from my Win98 days). Should I need to re-install Xp (3 years and two H/Ds w/o re-install on current system) I do not have to migrate my files from the drive.

Bill

Collapse -
sorry, but I ...
by kwokwai -space4english / February 25, 2006 4:15 PM PST
In reply to: Partitioning,

Quoto:"
XP on install allows you to create a sized primary partition for Windows install(Never less than 20 gig)..."

I have assigned 18GB space for Windows XP SP2, and the system didn't detect any problems due to the Size of the Partition

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.