Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Houston Republican Party shows true colors

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 24, 2005 9:49 PM PST
Local GOP upset over council support given Democratic mayor.
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

To Houston Republican Party leaders, it isn't about good government for the citizens, it's all about partisan politics -- even though all city elections are supposedly non-partisan (no party affiliation shown, or party contributions allowed).

That doesn't sit well with anyone who wrote in the next day -- several Republicans among them:
Responses to GOP Chair -- It's all about power.
>>This makes it crystal clear that this group has no interest in what Houstonians want, but cares only about power. Thank heavens many council members do care about Houston and will not be bullied by threats to their political futures. As a friend of mine recently said, I didn't leave the Republican Party ? it left me....

I find it very encouraging that we have a council that will vote for what is "right" and not along party lines. I am a little bit right of Genghis Khan, but I believe that Mayor Bill White has done a lot of good for the city.<<

The same is true on a national basis...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Houston Republican Party shows true colors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Houston Republican Party shows true colors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Makes one wonder at your lack of indignation...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2005 3:34 AM PST

when the same exact things are pointed out about Democrats and the Democratic party in general.

Collapse -
There's a big difference between making traffic flow
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 25, 2005 4:35 AM PST

and lifetime appointments for judges with a history of trampling on personal freedoms, Ed! Sometimes philosophy is worth fighting for -- that's different than obstructing for the sake of obstruction, which is what this bozo wants.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Nope...Read again the article YOU linked...
by Edward ODaniel / February 26, 2005 2:24 AM PST

and you will see that the party as a whole has " voted overwhelmingly to support Proposition 2 and to repeal Safe Clear. The local party's Web site has links to council voting records maintained by the city.".

In other words the PARTY feels that supporting what they don't support is not right nor proper and their reasons for non-support are clear also.

Proposition 2 is a MORE RESTRICTIVE CAP than Proposition 1 and "Gordon Quan and Ada Edwards, are Democrats. They opposed both revenue cap proposals, fearing the measures would cut city spending too much." They were willing to vote for an additional $100,000 to spend defending the less restrictive spending cap measure. That bodes ill for taxpayers.

The Towing Plan bothered BOTH SIDES and it bothered YOU ALSO when it was previously discussed here in this very forum.

Again I ask you WHERE is your righteous indignation when EXACTLY the same thing happens when Democrats vote against their party's position? In general YOU immediately begin castigating those persons and generally in terms of voting against the will of the people.

The descriptive word for that behavior Dave is hypocrite.

Collapse -
The 45 Senate Democrats of 2005 are as united
by kmarchal / February 28, 2005 6:11 AM PST
http://www.hughhewitt.com/#postid1404

"The Democratic leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, has said that if the Republicans made good on their threat and ruled filibusters out of order, he would see to it that Senate business came to a halt."

The 45 Senate Democrats of 2005 are as united in opposition to conservative judges as Southern Senate Democrats of 1964 were united in opposition to civil rights.
Democrats do not believe that any nominee who can be suspected of believing in the personhood of the unborn or of other "deeply held beliefs," to quote Senator Schumer, is qualified to sit on the federal bench-- cannot be bridged, and given its importance, should not be avoided. Senators Leahy, Schumer, Kennedy, Boxer, Clinton and Reid have in essence imposed a prohibited "religious test" on nominees for office.

Section 1841. The remaining part of the clause declares, that "no religious test shall ever be required, as a" qualification to any office or public trust, under the "United States."
(this should go both ways on religion)

btw
Mayor Bill White was the better of the 2 candidates that ran for mayor. But he is starting to make Lee Brown look good, safe clear was horrible, Prop ?1? 2 little 2 late, shut down bus routes to force light rail, now he wants to make I-10 a toll road?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good ol' lockstepping democrats
by duckman / February 28, 2005 9:10 PM PST
Collapse -
Ahh, takes you back to the good ole days
by Jerry562 / February 28, 2005 10:45 AM PST

when sweet Mrs. Clinton fired all the non-political government employees in the travel office and hired a truck load of jerks from Arkansas doesn't it?

My memory is still holding, how's yours?

Collapse -
Conservative values equal good Houston government
by kmarchal / February 28, 2005 10:05 PM PST
Collapse -
I do think the Texas GOP is off base in some areas
by Dragon / February 28, 2005 11:15 PM PST

For example, they want us to return to the gold standard, and they want "creation science" taught in schools.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.