Speakeasy forum

General discussion

House keeping question.

The toilet overflowed last night... one of five mini-crisis that kept me up till 4 am this morning (when it rains it pours).

Bath mats/rugs got soaked.

All of them small enough to go in the washer...What is the best way of sanitizing them?

grim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: House keeping question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: House keeping question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Use Bleach!

In reply to: House keeping question.

Collapse -
I agree, And hot water and a hot dryer,

In reply to: Use Bleach!

I don't know about your situation re: sewer or septic tank service, but a call to the plumber might be in order if the flow continues to be a problem. Though the lines are new outside of my 4 walls, the pipe running under the floor is old. I had to have it "cabled", which is different than the manual snake some use. The cable is electric.

Probably more than you wanted to know. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Yeah, I need to replumb the line.

In reply to: I agree, And hot water and a hot dryer,

Something I have put off since I hurt my back 3 years ago but i would have fixed in a jiffy before. I guess I will have to break down and pay someone to do it (ouch... the thought makes my Scots' blood run cold).

grim

Collapse -
this might help you

In reply to: House keeping question.

I have had septic systems for 20+yrs now.

it did not freeze did it? having a slight leak or running water to prevent water pipe freeze sometimes will cause ice to form in the sewer line. the steady trickle may start to freeze a drop at a time and will form an ice dam. this has happened to me.

if you can, open the septic access panel, the one they use to pump out the tank. paper which is the usual culprit will lodge at the point the pipe hits the baffle. clear that.

tank might have to be pumped to get rid of solids that do not bio-degrade. nothing goes in mine except paper and gray water from dishes and bathing. keep as much grease out as possible also because that can harden and cause damming.

if you decide to access septic tank: don't forget rubber gloves, and do not breathe the fumes which may be poisonous, not just unpleasant.

never call mr rooter, I call them mr ripper eg they will try to take more $$$ from your wallet than reputable plumbers. that comment from experience.

Collapse -
Been there, done that ;-)

In reply to: this might help you

Been knee deep in a frozen septic line when I was 14 and mom had bought her first house after dad left. 3 sisters, one mum and one boy... who do you think got to go fix the problem? Grin

I rented and ran power snakes through the old tiles to cut out roots on more than one occasion... and she finally got the city sewer line run out to where she lives about 20 years ago. I swear by RidX to keep the system running properly and never had to call a honey dipper out to the place. Now the field takes all the gray water from the downspouts.

In this case I believe the culprit is not enough drop in the line to create an adequate vacuum/siphon action. A few years back I had a pipe freeze in the crawl space portion of the place... so I and a friend went down, tore out the insulation, heat taped all the pipes and replaced the insulation. I did one bath room and my buddy did the other one that is currently problematic. I think the plastic waste pipe got raised up or bowed for a section when he replaced the insulation and bridged between the joists to keep it in place. It might be something else... I don't know. Either way, a herniated disc in my back makes it hard for me to get back there now and it hardly gets backed up anyway unless some visitor doesn't know better than to stuff the bowl with toilet paper. All the other drains in the house work perfectly.

No septic system here. We have a community treatment and pumping station near by that processes some of the waste and sends the rest into town for final treatment. Good advice though W

Collapse -
thanks for the umlaut

In reply to: Been there, done that ;-)

rid-x? I thought that might be a gimmick. I will give it a try, ounce of prevention theory. I have had a few recurrences of the freeze, the line is not deep enough where it leaves this old house. luckily I have not had to call the plumber, I have my brainbox-o-tricks that will get it flowing, spotting the symptoms early helps.

it does sound like you might be on the right track, it don't go uphill as they say. funny(not humor) this occurred after your ganges post. prescience? the cure might be incense.

sometimes when there is a problem I wish I was back on a more advanced system. of course where I live the outside offers a temporary solution until it is resolved.

Collapse -
I use...

In reply to: thanks for the umlaut

Bio Clean in my septic system. Treat all the sinks and toilets once a month. Works good for me. Get a year out of a $40 tub of it.

B/T/W...W-H, a title 5 septic system in this area today cost a minimum $20,000 so we are very careful what goes in that money pit. Town recommends pumping it every 2 years. I pump it every 4 and its good as gold. $210 bucks to pump it too.

George

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.