HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

HotSynch problems

by one2three / June 4, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

Hi All

I have a Handspring Treo 90. It ?has? a number of applications on it, most notably Datebk4 and Road Lingua. Recently, as I was sitting in the sun using Road Lingua to look up a Finnish word, I slipped while adjusting the screen contrast and the display greyed out. Completely. Not even a ghost was visible. A truly INSANE piece of programming. I panicked, not realising that I had simply pushed the contrast control to the limit.

First I tried a soft reset. No change. I repeated the exercise several times. I went on the web and found out about warm resets and tried that. Still no use. It was time to do a hard reset and lose all the data I?d put in over the last couple of days. (I KNOW!!). I connected it to the laptop and tried a HotSynch. It worked! Before doing anything else, I then copied the entire C:/program files/Handsping folder to another directory, hoping that this would safeguard my pda data. Finally I did the hard reset. It worked. I could see again! VICTORY.

The next step was to do a custom HotSynch to restore the data, but that is when the problem began to really get out of hand. I set the main databases so that the laptop overwrote the handheld. However, as had been the case once before many years ago, I couldn?t figure whether to do this for the System or not. In the end, still fearing that something was wrong with the pda I set this too for the laptop to overwrite the handheld. I clicked the HotSynch button. The HotSynch failed! At first it seemed Road Lingua was causing a problem but as I couldn?t see any obvious way to eliminate it from the HotSynch and reinstall it later, I simply tried again. The settings had remained the same: ?desktop overwrites handheld?. I then did another hard reset and tried again. This time I got as far as ?Cleaning up, please wait.? before it crashed. Finally I ?succeeded?, just by retrying and setting the handheld to overwrite the laptop for the System.

But, now, although I can ?successfully? HotSynch the pda, as soon as I go into the Datebook it crashes and goes into a loop. It can?t be soft reset but needs a hard reset. The only info in the log that seems to give a clue to me in all this is the line: - Invalid handheld file deleted: C:\Program Files\Handspring\robin0\backup\Datebk4DB.PDB.
Something is wrong with my main application DateBk4.

There was one other issue that can be seen from the log, in that I was doing this over midnight.

One other observation for what it?s worth is that in the Hanspring folder I copied for safety, there are two sub folders (my name/the pda?s name is Robin): ?Robin? and ?robin0?. However, now in the Handspring folder in Program Files there is only the subfolder ?robin0?. Odd?

In terms of solving all this, my mother was dying at the time (!) and one of the uses for the pda that I rely on a lot is recording a daily Journal. It helps me make sense of things. So, I?ve been keeping on doing this on the laptop and there is quite a bit of data, especially in the Datebook, that I don?t want to lose.

Can anyone suggest a way to recover from this that will GUARANTEE no loss of data? Please? I?ve run the battery flat reading that that may help but I think the problem is in some corrupted files somewhere . . . I?m using XP pro v.5.1SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 5160.

Sorry for the length of this, and thanks, in anxious anticipation!

Robin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HotSynch problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HotSynch problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2006 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: HotSynch problems

I never had to diddle with the "overwrites" this or that. I can clear the PDA and when I hotsync it all comes back IF I name the PDA the same name.

Where did you read to change the hotync settings like that?

Bob

Collapse -
re: Odd
by one2three / June 5, 2006 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

I can't remember. I don't think Ive ever changed the System overwrite though.

Robin

Collapse -
I sort of have the same scenario
by whizkid454 / June 8, 2006 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: HotSynch problems

My mother has a Tungsten E2 that she now regularly uses at work. She has me type in all her contacts(~500 people) on my computer. Palm Desktop is installed on both computers, her's at work and mine at home. On Palm's FAQ website, there is an article about if you have two computers how to HotSync the PDA. One set as synchronize and the other as Desktop overwrites handheld. What might be the problem is that when you put your data on the computer before the hard reset, it was put in the wrong place and during the HotSync to the comouter gave the file a different name. This has happened before. Check with Palm and ask them about DateBook4 and the files it saves it as. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.