Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Hotmail yo - yo service

Here is another reason why hotmail users are having trouble with their emails

Before they sent this email, when you used outlook express, you got this letter from them.

Dear xxxxx xxxxxxx

To help protect our users from automatically generated junk e-mail (or spam), MSN Hotmail periodically asks for identity verification.

Please go to http://www.hotmail.msn.com and follow the instructions. It takes only a few minutes and you can then return to using your Hotmail account. The link when you clicked on it went to http://g.msn.com/1HMDEN/13292??PS=&DI=7474 which is no where

Thank you for helping us to help reduce your junk e-mail.
Sincerely,
MSN Hotmail Staff

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is an unmonitored alias.

If you went to the website, signed in and you had to match the picture to get in. It would keep repeating this after you sent 2 emails using Outlook express.

Very Fustrating

Then got this email

Dear MSN Member,

Recently, Hotmail

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hotmail yo - yo service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hotmail yo - yo service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And your point is? ;-)

In reply to: Hotmail yo - yo service

Collapse -
How much is this service?

In reply to: Hotmail yo - yo service

Many are getting a little touchy about a free email service. Have you heard the line about not looking at the gift horse in the mouth?

Bob

Collapse -
Bob you asked

In reply to: How much is this service?

As a thank-you for your loyalty to MSN, we'd like to offer you a 25% discount off the regular price of a year's subscription to Outlook Live. Sign up by April 19, 2005, and you can enjoy all your first year's benefits for just $44.95 instead of $59.95*.

I just posted this because everyone that was having trouble using hotmail and outlook express might look here for a correction. I have dropped my hotmail service for a gmail account, but.... because gmail did have a policy that said that it was for private use. I do send out a monthly newsletter for a website and I only send it to the people on her mailing list (no one else).(Using the hotmail.com address)

Bob, since you know about gmail, do you think that they would object to a monthly newsletter sent from gmail or not ? I wouldn't want to go against their policies, since I'm very pleased with them. It is a small monthly newsletter telling them what the smell of the month is and the monthly specials(only to people on the mailing list(approx 70 people)) I do this as a favor for her and I do not earn any money for this.

Thanks

Rick

Collapse -
It's about spam.

In reply to: Bob you asked

Almost all the issues are related to reducing the ease that spammers were abusing the free service. My gmail account is a guarded secret and I report any abuse promptly. Abuse is unsolicited email.

Bob

Collapse -
Memories...

In reply to: It's about spam.

What if you forgot that you had subscribed to be on a mailing list... and then one day, say 4 weeks down the line, they send out a mailing that you had forgotten.

Do you report them? Happy

Collapse -
Given the premise you noted.

In reply to: Memories...

They would get reported. Aren't memories a grand thing?

Bob

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: It's about spam.

I agree with you. I hate spam also. It seems like more and more things were getting through using the hotmail.com account. Even viruses were sent here. When you forwarded it to the abuse department(with full headers) they said that it was not sent there by the person listed and using www.samspade.com I sent it to those abuse@whereever.com and they said that it didn't come from there also. That is why I dropped it. I have an email account that I have all my junk mail sent to @yahoo.com and it is even doing better with the spam. Then with the gmail.com address it's spam free. Wow, that's great !

What they need in this modern world of the internet is a place where all spam can be sent and traced back to it's origin and then catch these people. In the modern world today, we can trace a phone call, but we cannot trace an email to help to knock out spam.

Thanks for your input and listening

Rick

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.