Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

hotmail sign in on xp

by shirleyanneruss / January 6, 2010 6:10 PM PST

when i sign in to hotmail via the three envelopes next to messenger all is ok. then i sign out as normal. when i want to sign in again i get a white screen and done with errors. this has happened since i installed divx, but since uninstalling this and then system restoring this has happened to hotmail. im on the original explorer bar 6 and cannot update as this laptop is running without genuine windows verification. (not my doing as i was given said laptop)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hotmail sign in on xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hotmail sign in on xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
do you have this?
by Darrell / January 6, 2010 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: hotmail sign in on xp
http://login.live.com/ it is actually longer.
Also, http://home.live.com/ both are in my Favorites or if using another browser bookmarks. Also to get into Windows Live Mail, hotmail.com you need to have this in Internet Properties address: http://www.msn.com - it is also located in the control panel as Internet Options. Darrell
Collapse -
hotmail
by shirleyanneruss / January 6, 2010 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: do you have this?

hi, yes i have all this. the problemis i think the browser bar is the older version and does not support the newer login /logout pathway so i suppose ill have to somehow update the browser to explorer 8. you wouldn't happen to know if there is a possibility i could do this , you know, not having genuine windows installed? or indeed , should i attempt it at all, i would not want to cause further problems.also, for a few hours there today no pictures were uploading on the sites i visited, but now it seems to be normal again

Collapse -
Did you try to update your system or is there a key
by Darrell / January 7, 2010 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: hotmail

at the bottom?? If there is, you will need the CD. What are you using, HP, Compaq, DELL or other?? I had a Gateway that would not update but a friend sold me a CD that worked. There are a lot of upates for Outlook Express. Installing IE7 or IE8 won't work if you don't have legitimate windows. Darrell

Collapse -
hotmail
by shirleyanneruss / January 7, 2010 5:25 AM PST

yes, well im on a dell 4100 inspiron, tiny memory but flash drives make up the shortfall. well, im also of the opinion that genuine windows would perhaps solve all my problems, however.... i can still log into hotmail, its just that little more complicated than it used to be, i suppose it is just mr gates way of letting us unfortunate people know that he knows who we are.i'll in the meantime try and find a friend as good as yours that will help me with a cd. thanks for your help anyway, nb at least this laptop still works.....dare i speak too soon, touch plastic and all that

Collapse -
Just Another Option To
by tobeach / January 7, 2010 2:29 PM PST

consider (assuming XP SP2 or above): Install Free Mozilla Firefox Browser & Moz. Thunderbird Mail Handler & use instead of OE & IE. Both pretty light on system resources. They require Sun Java 6 Plug-in(or 5 but its on way out)which also req. SP2 or above.

If you're NOT SP2 & up, you could use Mozilla Sea Monkey (includes Mail Handler)v.1.1.8 with old Sun Java 1.4.2_19 (out of support now). I'm not certain if NEW Sea Monkey 2.x would work on older Pre-SP2 systems . You can check sys.req. at their site.
FF: http://www.mozilla.org/products/
SM: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
http://noscript.net/getit

Good Luck! Happy

With the above I greatly recommend No Script Add On (available for both FF & SM).

Collapse -
hotmail and browser
by shirleyanneruss / January 7, 2010 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: Just Another Option To

many thanks, off i go, not too sure about some of the things you are telling me, they are a little complicated but im sure ill learn as i go along, if i go off air for some time you'll know i have done it wrong and will be visiting mr computer fixer in the local town

Collapse -
hotmail sign in
by shirleyanneruss / January 7, 2010 7:04 PM PST
In reply to: Just Another Option To

you are not going to believe. now i can sign in to hotmail using the standard method with no glitches. it seems it went away, all by itself, pessimist that i am

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to hear that! Darrell
by Darrell / January 7, 2010 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: hotmail sign in
Collapse -
hotmail
by shirleyanneruss / January 7, 2010 11:15 PM PST

well, now im just stuck with a flat battery problem, think i need a new one it only lasts 12 minutes yet takes two hours to charge

Collapse -
battery problem
by deadlydavid / February 5, 2010 12:42 AM PST

Man i guess you can buy a new battery for 100$. its cheap. But i guess it is non-branded beware before purchasing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?