Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Hotmail attachments won't open in Netscape

My browser of choice, Netscape, used to open (without any problems) my Hotmail e-mail attachments, whether WORD or PHOTOS. Over the past month, however, when I go to open the attachments I get this message: "(The document) could not be saved because the source file could not be read."

Does anyone know why this is suddenly happening? What can I do to correct this? (Note: The attachments open OK through IE, but I want to use Netscape.)

Note: I am using Windows XP Home Edition and Netscape 7.1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hotmail attachments won't open in Netscape
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hotmail attachments won't open in Netscape
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hotmail attachments won't open in Netscape

In reply to: Hotmail attachments won't open in Netscape

A similar problem with Gmail (google mail) was traced to the firewall. Changes at the email server caused the firewall to block the attachments.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Hotmail attachments won't open in Netscape

1) If I understand you correctly, it would be changes of some sort at Hotmail itself (?the e-mail server?) which is causing this malfunction; is this correct?

2) Is there anything I can do to correct this problem?

Collapse -

My response contained the answer. But I can't help you with your firewall configuration. Try zonelabs.

Bob

Collapse -

I read your response carefully; you stated: ?Changes at the email server caused the firewall to block the attachments?. Since I am unclear as to precisely what an ?e-mail server? is, I simply wished to verify that Hotmail (which is the only e-mail system I use) is the ?e-mail server? in this case; if it is, then changes at Hotmail have caused the attachments to be blocked.

Collapse -

Yes. Hotmail is the email server in a loose term.

How much clearer can I write it. You need to get control and understanding of your firewall. I will not do this for you.

Bob

Collapse -

Take a deep breath, Bob.

Collapse -
same hotmail

With netscape I can't even compose an answer. With chrome OK. At yahoo & att.net, netscape works OK.

Collapse -

In reply to: Hotmail attachments won't open in Netscape

Are there any other Netscape users who have run into this problem? I wonder if they could let me know what steps they were able to take to correct it.

I am not an advanced computer user; I do not know much about firewalls and the like. I have the Trend Micro anti-virus/firewall protection on my computer. It doesn?t give me an option as to making specific settings which might in some way correct this problem; it basically just has an ?Enable Personal Firewall? option (which is checked).

Collapse -

This is not a Netscape issue. If you can't control the firewall or understand it, then you need to ask the supplier for support. Changes at Hotmail, Yahoo and others are creating posts like yours. The issue is that cookies and links on the page are not from the source page so some firewalls block it and posts like yours occurs.

What good is that firewall without support?

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.