HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Hotfix annoyance

by Bill McKenzie / April 18, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

Windows has sent me a Microsoft hotfix self-extractor to fix a blue screen issue. But I get this message -
"An error occurred while unzipping. One or more files were not successfully unzipped. The error code is 40"
I've searched the MS KB, using the complete message, and it returns "no matches". I really need some help with this.
I get to hate Vista more and more!
TIA
Vista Home Premium

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hotfix annoyance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hotfix annoyance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Error code 40
by PudgyOne / April 18, 2008 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Hotfix annoyance

error codes can be found here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Error code 40 states...

Code 40
Windows cannot access this hardware because its service key information in the registry is missing or recorded incorrectly. (Code 40)

What ever you were trying to install, it's not in the registry.

Maybe you want to try either

start, run, cmd, chkdsk /r (space between the k and /)hit enter, answer y and restart your computer.

Or

start, run, cmd, SCF/Scannow and insert your Vista disk.

Rick

Collapse -
Bill, Just Making Sure...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 4:24 AM PDT

Unfortunately, you've not given us the knowledgebase number for the hotfix so....The hotfix you mention....Are you sure this is from Microsoft? Did you request this particular hotfix from Microsoft and they sent it back to you by giving your a link or something similar?

Or is it a Windows Update of some type?

There are a number of viruses/trojans sent to unsuspecting users which SAY they are a hotfix.. This type of malware is normally unsolicited and can appear as if it's legitimate..

If you're sure you receive the hotfix file from Microsoft, then you can ignore this.. It's just a little unusual that you say "Windows has sent me a Microsoft hotfix self-extractor".. Usually, they're not .zip files.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Really baffled now...
by Bill McKenzie / April 19, 2008 9:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
You Should Be Seeing The Extraction Process..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Really baffled now...

...but some of those hotfixes do automatically install.. It's hard to tell what may have occurred...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Microsoft Self-Extractor Error 40
by boris_pistov / March 3, 2009 7:05 AM PST

Just beat my head against the wall on this, and then I cracked it! Instead of double-clicking on the downloaded hotfix zip file, right-click and choose Run As Administrator! It will unzip correctly. You then need to go to the unzip directory and double-click on the extracted file (no Run As Administrator needed or possible).

Nowhere in the download instruction email does Microsoft mention this, and Error 40 isn't covered in any of their knowledge base articles. Grrr!

Collapse -
Hotfix error 40
by glassartist50 / March 8, 2009 7:53 AM PDT

Boris- Thank you for that recommendation! It saved me a (bigger) headache and a pail of spackling compound. If only Microsoft and HP could experience themselves as the rest of us do...

Collapse -
Excellent advice
by ajeo / March 17, 2010 8:45 AM PDT

Running as administrator is the answer. It worked for me. Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
hotfix and error 40
by goeffcity / September 18, 2010 5:34 PM PDT

Iam getting exactly the same problems but find no point at which i can click run as adminstrator. I keep getting the blue screen shut down which then when a diagnosis is performed comes up as needing a hotfix and produces a link to a hotfix an email then is generated and i click on its link and enter a password. I then try to download the hotfix which gives me the error 40 unzip message. At what point should i have used run as adminstrator.

hope someone can help as my pc knowledge is very limited

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: unzip error 40
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2010 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: hotfix and error 40
Collapse -
unzip error 40
by goeffcity / September 19, 2010 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: unzip error 40

Thank you will try that

Collapse -
Thanks!
by asentell / September 22, 2010 6:29 AM PDT

Thanks Boris. You just saved me a ton of headache! Why don't they put that in the instructions somewhere? It would be so simple.

Collapse -
error 40
by bmontgomery2 / January 16, 2011 1:37 AM PST

Boris, thanks. Just what I needed. Microsoft is a pain in the a..

Collapse -
Great Advice!
by Moyotaku / September 3, 2012 3:39 AM PDT

OMG! You just saved me, stupid windows I hate it so much! Same deal, kept getting the error all morning was ready to put my fist through the monitor, then just did what you did, right clicked and ran as admin. MS I really hate you guys....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.