Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Hotel wireless help

by vndkid / March 15, 2008 9:19 AM PDT

my friend owns a motel and he wants to put wireless internet in each room, from the office (where he has internet and a wireless router for his personal use), to the left of the office there are 20 rooms which is about 180 feet and to the right of the office there are 10 rooms which is about 50 feet. What does he need to get? I did some research and I am thinking about getting a 8dBi Omni-Directional Outdoor Wireless Antenna, but I don't know how i can hook it up to my router or modem.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MGA-OS-08A&cat=NET

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
What some may need to do is..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Hotel wireless help

Try such a thing. Given the variety of construction of the buildings no one will tell you "There, this will work." But it's fine start.
Bob

Collapse -
Does the place already have wired network ports?
by Steven Haninger / March 15, 2008 12:06 PM PDT

I'm presuming he wants to cater to the business travelers with laptops. If he hasn't done so already and doesn't have wired networking, he might want to survey guests to see what they prefer. Wired is still far more reliable than wireless. My company provided IBM laptop has both wired and wireless but I definitely would opt for wired as first choice in a motel.

Collapse -
Have the same project...
by udins9 / March 16, 2008 12:56 AM PDT

I also doing project like this but still don't have any clue on making this done... and I also think about using the Omni-Directional Outdoor Wireless Antenna.. But recently my friend told me that it is better to use a couple of Access Point and then connect all the Access Point to a switch or hub via RJ45 cable. I still don't know weather this will work since our project is still in discussion. As I know using an outdoor antenna is less expensive than buying a couple of Access Point or Wireless Router... but will it work? I don't know. Hope you can tell me the experience on using the outdoor antenna.

Collapse -
Those that do and those that discuss.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

The brutal truth is there are two roads here. If you drive forward with even one access point and that antenna you will discover what areas are not covered and need their own WAP.

The people I seen trying to plan their way often end up in planning for months or end up in an overkill solution.
Bob

Collapse -
etho
by jimboxp / March 16, 2008 2:30 PM PDT

Ethostream.com

Collapse -
Nice and good example of
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: etho

What you want to do in overkill, IT and CYA situations.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!