Windows 7 forum

General discussion

HOT: Windows 7 RC Information

UPDATE: Microsoft will terminate Windows 7 RC downloads on August 15, 2009. You can still request product keys and install the RC after that date, but you will not be able to download the ISOs.

UPDATE: Windows 7 RC is now available for public download. Click here to get your copy today!

As many of you know, Windows 7 has reached the Release Candidate (RC) stage.
Many leaks and rumors have been circulating for weeks, but this is an official notification and release.

<b style="color:red">When is it available?</b>
-> Windows 7 RC will be made publicly available on May 5, 2009.
-> Those with MSDN and Technet subscriptions may download it today.

<b style="color:red">Where is it available?</b>
The download page is not yet available. Watch for an update to this post in the coming days!

<b style="color:red">Who is it available to?</b>
-> Anyone may download the Windows 7 RC. You need not have previously participated in the beta.
-> Beta product keys will not work, however; you must re-register for a key product key.
-> There will be no limit to the number of downloaders/users it will be offered to!
-> An end date for this public offering has not yet been determined, but don't wait!

<b style="color:red">Tell me more!</b>
-> Windows 7 RC will be available as the Ultimate edition only.
-> Both 32-bit (size: 2.47GB) and 64-bit (size: 3.2GB) will be offered.
-> Windows 7 RC will be the lone release candidate prior to the RTM version.

<b style="color:red">How long can I use it?</b>
Windows 7 RC has two expiration dates:
-> March 1, 2010: Windows 7 RC will reboot automatically every 2 hours.
-> June 1, 2010: Windows 7 RC will cease to function.
By this time you should have replaced Windows 7 RC with the RTM version or another operating system.

<b style="color:red">Can I upgrade to Windows 7 RC from a previous version?</b>
-> From Windows Vista, yes.
-> From Windows XP, no.
-> From Windows 7 Beta, possibly. (Consult the answer to "Can I upgrade from the RC to the RTM version?")

<b style="color:red">Can I downgrade from Windows 7 RC to a previous version?</b>
No. It is therefore strongly recommended that you clean install Windows 7 rather than performing an irreversible upgrade.

<b style="color:red">Can I upgrade from the RC to the RTM version?</b>
Possibly. There is a process by which it is technically possible, but it is for advanced users only and is not advisable due to potential malfunctions that may occur as a result. Therefore, a clean installation is strongly encouraged.

<b style="color:red">Do I receive a discount on the final version?</b>
-> No. Beta testers do not receive free or discounted copies of Windows 7 upon its release.
-> Starting June 26, 2009, however, buyers of new computers will receive a free upgrade to Windows 7 upon its release.

<b style="color:red">When will Windows 7 RTM be released?</b>
That's not part of the public information I can release at this time. Sorry. Happy

<b style="color:red">DISCLAIMER:</b>
Windows 7 RC is still a pre-release version that may have bugs and is not necessarily representative of the final release version. It should not be installed on any production or otherwise mission-critical computers. Always backup your personal files before installing an operating system or beta software.

Questions? Comments? Sound off below!
John

Message was edited by: admin to update title of thread.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOT: Windows 7 RC Information
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOT: Windows 7 RC Information
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks John

In reply to: HOT: Windows 7 RC Information

It's good to know it will operate up to the point when I can buy the retail version.
At the moment I'm bouncing between Vista & W7 mainly to keep Vista updated.
Can't wait for RC so I can use it full time.
All my data is on seperate drives and using the library makes it easy to get at whatever I need from Vista users directory.
Anmor

Collapse -
Curiously interesting...

In reply to: Thanks John

I too can't wait...

I'll be taking more peaks at this post to see when the link is announced!!!!

Current time 5/5/09 12:43 AM EST, whoa.

Subzero_83

Collapse -
Windows 7 RC is now available!

In reply to: Curiously interesting...

UPDATE: Windows 7 RC is now available for public download. Click here to get your copy today!

John
Collapse -
For those not familiar with TechNet

In reply to: Windows 7 RC is now available!

Collapse -
What's New in Windows 7 Release Candidate

Collapse -
Installation options...

I downloading the final beta version as I write this. My plan if I can free up a hard drive will be to install it on a clean drive. If I don't go that route, and I decide to install it on my MAIN XP HD in a partition, what are the chances that it might screw up my XP drive. I just went through a complete downgrade (upgrade?) from Vista back to XP and I DON'T want to screw up my present XP installation.

Collapse -
It is relatively safe...

In reply to: Installation options...

The riskiest step is partitioning the drive, a process that does run the slight risk of corrupting existing partitions and resulting in the loss of all data. Once the hard drive is partitioned, though, it is relatively safe, provided you choose the right partition when prompted, ensuring you choose to clean install on the blank partition rather than the Windows XP partition. Nevertheless, a backup is always recommended before making any significant chances to your computer.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Does this mean?

In reply to: It is relatively safe...

if I do a clean install of Windows 7 on C drive where XP is,then I won't be able to boot to Vista on D drive,its one hard drive with two partitions.If it wrecks the Vista boot order can I run my Vista dvd from within Windows 7 and repair it,or is it more complicated,be gentle I am seventy and can hardly find the on switch,thank you Ed.

Collapse -
If this applies

In reply to: Does this mean?

",be gentle I am seventy and can hardly find the on switch"

Then do not install the Windows 7 RC. This is for experienced users and the brave or stupid or a combination of any of the three. Grin

Collapse -
No....

In reply to: Does this mean?

"if I do a clean install of Windows 7 on C drive where XP is,then I won't be able to boot to Vista on D drive"
-> No; a dual-boot between Vista and Windows 7 will be created automatically.

"If it wrecks the Vista boot order can I run my Vista dvd from within Windows 7 and repair it"
-> No, but if Windows is bootable you can use the command line to fix the issue. If Windows is not bootable, you can run Startup Repair from either DVD to repair the problem automatically.

"be gentle I am seventy and can hardly find the on switch"
-> Risky conditions when dealing with a beta operating system, but, then again, Windows 7 is considered the most stable beta Microsoft has ever released.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
John

Collapse -
Works great.

In reply to: No....

Thanks John everything went perfect,was a easy install and Windows 7 leaves my Vista restore points intact and no problems with any programs I have installed so far.Ed

Collapse -
Seems to be working great...

In reply to: No....

I'm leery of putting Win 7 on my XP hard drive as a 2 boot operation. So I installed the program on an old hard drive. During the installation process, it seemed to offer me a chance to install the program on my external USB drive which I passed on. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have gone that route with my XP drive back in the computer as the C drive.

Anyone know what kind of performance hit I would take running Win7 via a USB interface verse a PATA interface?

From what I gather, I would then have the option of either booting to my C drive (XP) or my external drive (Win 7).

I realize we Beta testers are not going to be given a free copy or even a reduced rate copy when the program hits the market. However, I'm wondering if we will have to do another reinstall or just enter the paid version's registration numbers?

Collapse -
Booting and upgrading...

In reply to: Seems to be working great...

Windows 7, like its predecessors, does not have the ability to boot from a USB or Firewire drive. The Windows 7 installer should not list a USB/Firewire drive as an option, and those who find ways around the automatic blocks will find it fails to boot after installation or transfer to an external enclosure. You can, however, boot Windows 7 from an external hard drive attached via an eSATA interface, which is the recognized as an internal hard drive.

As to the RTM version, you will have to perform a clean installation to replace Windows 7 Beta/RC. There is no official upgrade process, and although it is/will be possible to perform an upgrade by modifying files on the Windows 7 DVD, it is a completely unsupported process that may result in unpredictable and unrecoverable file corruption, instability, security flaws, etc.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks for all the help!

In reply to: Booting and upgrading...

"The Windows 7 installer should not list a USB/Firewire drive as an option, and those who find ways around the automatic blocks will find it fails to boot after installation or transfer to an external enclosure."

While the install options for an external drive will work for a drive connected via a SATA cable to the internal motherboard, the install procedure DID recognize my external USB drive and DID offer it as a choice for installation. A bit buggy if you ask me.

My first installation went on an old PATA drive and took over 2 hours to run. However, after it was loaded, it seemed to run fine although it had an annoying error message about a search function every time I ran IE.

So, I reloaded the program on a blank SATA drive and the installation "flew" on there in less than an hour. It was an amazing display of SATA verses PATA to say the least.

Collapse -
32 vs 64 bit

In reply to: Thanks for all the help!

I have a 250g hard drive partitioned into three parts: XP Pro, W7rc32 had W7rc64 but loaded Vista Ultimate32 instead. Why? because the 64 bit had no drivers for the D-Link dge-530t Ethernet card. It did find the card but no drivers exists and teh Vista64 drivers did not work, plus my Link sys wireless server did not work also and so decided that after over 5 years of 64 bit OS's why the app providers fail to provide drivers sigh.......

W7rc32 works great I like it found all my devices and Ethernet and wireless server loaded up and I'm up and running. But I bought Vista Ultimate and loaded it up and just now getting to like it. I have a old AMD 4000+ duo core with 4 gig ram of Patriot Extreme and it loaded in less then half hour, loaded all apps Canon multifunction, canon camera apps and have decided not build another computer since this one seems to be running so well w/SP1 and all the updates.

I do like W7RC32 and its themes functionality and the way it finds drivers overnight during the updates. I'd like to be able to download the W7 themes for my Vista machine if possible!

Collapse -
To Install, Or Not To Install...

I am currently contemplating whether or not I should go ahead and download and install the current RC version of Windows 7 or not. My first concern is, how does the RC version compare to the final retail version of Windows 7? Secondly, I own both a personal desktop PC and a notebook PC, and I am contemplating upon whether I should go ahead and erase all the O/S information off both computers, and perform a clean install of the RC version of Windows 7 onto both PCs to prepare for the final release version on October 22; which I have already taken the liberty of pre-ordering in preparation of the new Windows release. Thus implying my concern of, is it "safe" to install the RC version of Windows 7 and fully rely upon it without needing to worry about a functional backup O/S?

Collapse -
Shakespearean conundrum...

In reply to: To Install, Or Not To Install...

"My first concern is, how does the RC version compare to the final retail version of Windows 7?"
-> Changes are almost entirely 'under the hood,' fine tuning functionality and fixing various issues. No significant changes beyond bug fixes.

"Secondly, I own both a personal desktop PC and a notebook PC, and I am contemplating upon whether I should go ahead and erase all the O/S information off both computers, and perform a clean install of the RC version of Windows 7 onto both PCs to prepare for the final release version on October 22"
-> That will not prepare your computers for anything; there is no standard upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM.

"Thus implying my concern of, is it "safe" to install the RC version of Windows 7 and fully rely upon it without needing to worry about a functional backup O/S?"
-> All pre-release software is potentially buggy. Windows 7 RC is, however, one of the most stable betas you'll find. Regardless, you assume any/all risk for the unsupported operating system.

John

Collapse -
CAN SOMEONE DOWNLOAD WIN 7 FOR ME ?

I do not have broadband at all nor the monie t buy win 7 rtm .

Collapse -
Absolutely not...

In reply to: CAN SOMEONE DOWNLOAD WIN 7 FOR ME ?

Windows 7 may be purchased directly from Microsoft via the Microsoft Store, with a choice of download or DVD media. You can also purchase it via retailers such as Newegg.com, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. That alleviates the lack of a broadband connection. However, Windows 7 may not be freely downloaded or distributed, an action that constitutes piracy. Note: Any requests or offers pertaining to such activity will be deleted on sight.

Thus, your current options include:
1.) Maintaining your current operating system.
2.) Looking into student discounts through your university if you are currently enrolled as a student.
3.) Purchasing a second-hand copy of Windows, be it XP, Vista, or 7. Note, however, that many are pirated copies that will not activate.
4.) Choosing an alternative operating system, such as the Linux distro Ubuntu.

Regards,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!