Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

Question

hot shoe on a SONY HDR PJ540

by rodtheactor / January 16, 2015 10:30 AM PST

I recently purchased a SONY HDR PJ 540. I noticed that the hot shoe is "sunken." Could anybody recommend a shoe adaptor? Where can I purchase one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hot shoe on a SONY HDR PJ540
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hot shoe on a SONY HDR PJ540
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Hot Shoe Adapter
by Terfyn / January 16, 2015 12:53 PM PST

Sony themselves supply an adapter, see their "support" web page. Plus Amazon have a range of adapters.

This is Sony's way of grabbing the customer so you can ONLY buy their accessories at inflated prices. One of the reasons I would never buy Sony kit again. I use Panasonic and, apart from their overpriced batteries, I can obtain kit like mics and lighting from any third party supplier.

Collapse -
I'm confused.
by boya84 / January 17, 2015 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Hot Shoe Adapter

If both Sony and other third party manufacturers supply adapters, for the multi-interface shoes that allow non-Sony accessories, how would this be forcing anyone to buy only Sony equipment? If anything, the low cost adapter from Sony and elsewhere makes it easier to use third party or Sony-proprietary gear - the choice is up to the end-user.

Other than the multi-shoe adapter, the HDR-PJ540 uses USB connectivity, MicroSD or Memory Stick micro cards, standard micro HDMI, standard wifi, standard 3.5mm stereo audio input, can interact with Android or iOS devices for various remote capabilities and captures standard AVCHD-compressed video that can be edited by many non-Sony products. Nothing in there that requires Sony-proprietary products.

The built-in multi shoe is a hot shoe that allows connectivity for lights and mics if the user wants "ease of use" accessory power and connectivity and decides the Sony proprietary stuff is OK. The available optional adapter allows third party gear, just like any other cold shoe - such as the one provided by your HC-750's (not built-in) shoe adapter. A camera bracket with cold accessory shoes would provide similar functionality.

There may have been a time when there were issues with Sony forcing proprietary gear, but many manufacturers do something like that... even Panasonic (at the higher end: LANC connectors are Panny specific, use of P2 cards, use of DVCPro/HD format, a few others). And certainly car manufacturers don't all have interchangeable parts, but not being able to easily put a Lotus bumper on a McLaren is not a good reason to not consider purchasing a Lotus. Not being able to use a Galaxy S4 case is not a good reason to not consider an iPhone.

And yes, I've used Panasonic camcorders (PV-GS320, AG-HVX200, others). I currently use Sony camcorders with the same Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Shure mics; Lite Panel and VidPro video lights and various steadying devices - some of which were used with the Panasonic cams... and for the remaining Sony miniDV tape based camcorder, I use a Panasonic tape head cleaner. You current assumption of "Sony proprietary everything" might not be entirely accurate. But I agree that is the end-user wants a mic or light compatible with the multi use shoe for power and connectivity then they may have limited third-party options.

Both Panasonic and Sony make fine camcorders. Sometimes increasing their functionality means adding more equipment - sometimes it is proprietary, most times it is not. In this case, availability of an inexpensive adapter or use of a third party accessory shoe camera bracket easily and inexpensively deals with the (perceived) proprietary issue - but you are certainly welcome to your opinion...

Since the original poster did not tell us what they are planning to use with the accessory shoe, we don't know what the requirements are and we don't know if Sony-proprietary or third party equipment should be considered/suggested.

Collapse -
Sony's grip
by Terfyn / January 17, 2015 4:12 PM PST
In reply to: I'm confused.

Clearly you did not have to use Sony's equipment in the Hi-8 days. Sony tried to corner the market when only accessories made by Sony would work with their cameras.
Possibly it has changed now - I never bothered to find out. I changed first to Canon and then to Panasonic and both were a much happier experience.

Collapse -
Hi8 from 10+ years ago?
by boya84 / January 19, 2015 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Sony's grip

Actually I did have opportunities to use Sony gear way back then. I think it was a CCD-TRV112. I don't remember anything so proprietary that it was irritating. AV connectors were RCA-type, mic input was 3.5mm... I do remember some sort of camera/camcorder class action back in early-mid 2000's but I don't remember it impacting me, so I don't think I signed up for whatever it was they were being sued for. I also had an RCA shoulder mount full sized VHS camcorder... then a Canon Elura something miniDV tape camcorder.

But none of these has anything to do with the original poster's question about an accessory shoe adapter for a new HDR-PJ540.

If you don't like Sony - for whatever reason - that's your prerogative. The first paragraph of your 1st response to the original poster was great.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!