Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hot,hot,hot...

by brokedown49 / July 17, 2006 12:06 PM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio desktop, model PCV-RX660 w 512mb of RAM and Pentium 4 processor with Windows XP. I have noticed lately that my computer restarts seemingly randomly.Today I ran ScanDisk and midway through it shut down and restarted. It came up to a blue screen taat said: "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL If this is the first time you have seen this Stop Error screen restart your computer. If the screen appears again follow these steps..." The steps were to make sure you do not have a conflict with any newly installed hardware or software which I do not as I have not installed anything lately.
When I restarted I came to a screen which said: "Hardware Monitor has found a problem. Press F2 to enter power setup " When I entered BIOS, this is what I Seen:
BIOS Setup Utility
Hardware Monitor

MB Temperature 45.5C/113.5F
CPU Temperature 76C/ 165.5F

CPU Fan Speed 3688 RPM
Power Fan Speed 2205 RPM

VCore Voltage 1.6V
+3.3V Voltage 3.3V
+5V Voltage 5.1V
+12V Voltage 11.7V
Can someone help me please? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hot,hot,hot...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hot,hot,hot...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems fine
by jnbhoward / July 17, 2006 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Hot,hot,hot...

Most Intel chips should be able to withstand temps up to around 90C. So while you might benefit from some better cooling, I doubt it's the source of your problem.

Collapse -
P4
by PKsteven / July 17, 2006 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Hot,hot,hot...

Your temp should be between 60c and 78c. The new pentiums have the ability to slow themselves down instead of burning out. However, overheating can still cause premature breakdown eventually. For the sake of your CPU, I would still try to take the temp down a bit anyway. That said, I don't think that's your problem. I can almost say for sure it's your RAM not your CPU. You may be looking at replacing it.

Paul

Collapse -
hotter
by brokedown49 / July 17, 2006 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: P4

This morning, from a cold startup my CPU Temp is 91 and my case temp is 46C. I have not started any programs. Can any one advise?

Collapse -
Do you
by Themisive / July 18, 2006 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: hotter

Turn the computer all the way off are is it left on stndby overnight? If the latter, then the CPU may be working when you are alseep, thus giving the huge rise in temperature you mention.

Open the case and check that the fans are clean and that they do run - you'll have to turn on for a second or two to check this - also make sure all the various heatsinks are clean, especially the CPU heatsink. If you can, it may alos be worth checking your RAM as comicfan says, but i'd also be looking at some extra cooling.

Another cause of overheating is those flat wide IDE cables, get round ATA cables instead and do the same for the floppy drive(s) if you have them. Keep the machine clean and replace the cables, add a fan (at the front if possible) and you should see a marked difference. For the time being, try running the machine with the side off, and see if that brings the temperatures down.

Collapse -
no standby
by brokedown49 / July 18, 2006 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you

I never use standby, I have been shutting it all the way down for months. I just cleaned it and the fans are running. Can you take the power supply apart to clean inside? I have not done that, I have been blowing through the vents.

Collapse -
NO!
by jnbhoward / July 18, 2006 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: no standby

It's a VERY BAD IDEA to take apart a power supply unless you know what you're doing. They can store lethal charges of electricity for days. Not only that, but dust buildup in the power supply wouldn't be causing your problem.

If the unit is still under warranty, report the problem to Dell and let it be their problem. If it's no longer under warranty, I'd take it to the nearest reputable computer shop and have them check the heatsink and whatnot on the CPU. It's uncommon, but it might have come loose at some point and isn't getting the optimal amount of contact to leech off heat. It's also highly possible, knowing Dell's business model, that you got a defective heatsink, or there isn't enough thermal grease on the CPU.

Collapse -
Thank you...
by brokedown49 / July 18, 2006 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: NO!

for informing me about the power supply, I will not mess with it. It is not a Dell though. It is a Sony Vaio PCV-RX660 wtth Pent 4 processor,512mb ram and Windows XP.

Collapse -
memory test okay
by brokedown49 / July 18, 2006 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: P4

I ran MemTest on it this morning and it found no errors with the memory but running the memory test raised my CPU Temp to 95C and Case Temp 48C

Collapse -
Time of year?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 18, 2006 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: memory test okay

I don't know where you live, your profile doesn't say, but if you're in the Northern Hemisphere is the weather where you are hot?

For instance, I live in the UK, normally considered cold, wet, miserable. But at the moment we are experiencing hot dry days and hot muggy nights, 38

Collapse -
A better fan...
by PKsteven / July 18, 2006 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: memory test okay

If other suggestions don't work, I would try to buy a better fan etc...since many are fairly cheap and the ones that come with the unit may be cheaply made.

Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?