Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Hosting own website, DNS issues

I have come to a stopping point in the process and hoping you guys could help me out. I set-up a webserver in my home, I know it works. I can connect to it via ip form inside. I also registered several domain names and changed the A records to go to my ip address. I also set my router to forward all port 80 request to the server. I figure the dns may work, because I can enter the domain address www.dailygreenster.com in on any computer at my house and it resolves to my server and IP. However I have not been able to connect from outside computers(outside of my network). The message I get is that the Network timed out. Which I think means "no connection". However when I remote connect to my server, (which I can) I see that the server is running and typing the same address in on that computer resolves to the website.

The server is not running a firewall and the router is not either.

Any ideas? Anything I can try or did I miss something?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hosting own website, DNS issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hosting own website, DNS issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What ISP are you on? It matters.

In reply to: Hosting own website, DNS issues

Why? Because some ISPs do not allow web servers and will block port 80 and the other email server ports so people don't set up servers at home.
Bob

Collapse -
k

In reply to: What ISP are you on? It matters.

I am on COX. Which sucks I know. Do you know where I could find out this information?

Collapse -
Dam your good

Called COX up and they do indeed limit ports. Inbound 80 which is what I need for my web server. This has me all bent out of shape. How can they get away with this?

Business connection is the only way to make this happen, including getting a static IP address from them.

This is robbery!!!!!

Collapse -
Depends on if you

In reply to: Dam your good

Work at Cox or not.

-> Now set the server on port 8080 and try that address with the :8080 at the end.

Collapse -
That was next

In reply to: Depends on if you

That was my next question, what is the second browser default port for http?

is it 8080? I can do that, I just want to make sure people just have to enter the address no extra stuff.

No need to confuse people with port numbers.

Collapse -
There is no such thing.

In reply to: That was next

For www, it's port 80. Anythng else and you tell them about it in a link.
Bob

Collapse -
not port 8080

In reply to: That was next

If you go through a router, and you use a dynamic addressing domain service so your ISP's shifting IP address assigned to your home/work will still allow access to your server, and that access goes through your router, and you have the router set for remote administration, then they will likely get a demand from the router for a username and password to access it instead. Assign some other port number instead.

Collapse -
ISP hosting

ISPs often rotate IPs from time to time. So don't be surprised if your IP isn't '68.9.151.165' forever. With COX, you will have to upgrade to their static IP plan which allows port :80 traffic. Browsers are not designed to have any sort of secondary web port. Entering now port defaults to :80. Good luck.

Ranjit Viswakumar
HostMySite.com

Collapse -
The principle makes me sick

In reply to: ISP hosting

I want to make it easy for my visitors to find the site. Putting an extra number at the end may mess people up. The fact of the matter is the horrible service I have. For COX to charge $50/month more so I can have a static IP and unblocked ports is a joke. To do all that for less bandwidth, is robbery.

Collapse -
Use a Dynamic Domain Name Service

In reply to: The principle makes me sick

There are various ways they work but in short some software or an regular email gets sent to a DNS server that tracks your IP address and routes your domain name traffic then to that IP address. Since port 80 is blocked on Cox, then your home setup must accept incoming http traffic on another port. That can be set at the Dynamic IP Hosting site you use. It's called "web hopping" or port redirection. You can have whatever Dynamic DNS you use have all http requests to your domain on port 80 to be redirected to some other port like 81 or 82 etc. You also then have to set up your router to accept and direct incoming http requests on that port to your server.
http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/webhops_redirections.html#ports
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/introduction/newsletter_archive/goodiestogo/article.php/3476871#Goodies%20Thoughts
go to the section about static vs dynamic

Also check your router, it may already have a configuration page in it's access program to set up a Dynamic DNS with one of the larger freebie organizations.

Collapse -
You can check your incoming port 80 at home.

In reply to: Use a Dynamic Domain Name Service

Collapse -
You're seeing half the picture.

There are fees for traffic from other carriers so you can write this today but later after you get the full story then you understand the big picture and won't write that again.

You would find it cheaper to put the web site at a web host site. Not only is it cheaper but you don't have to keep your PC on 24x7 and more.
Bob

Collapse -
What

$50/month more a month for a static IP for your home is way too much.

Collapse -
Not necessary.

In reply to: What

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+DNS+service&btnG=Search

All you need is a domain name and then some way for people to find your "server" on the internet and that's through a registered DNS server(domain name service). There are free ones out there and if you don't have a static IP address, you can pay a small yearly charge ($25) and have your server tracked by the DNS service to keep it's shifting IP address current. Even the large IP providers often leave you with the same IP address for a week or more. Some DNS let you set your TTL for the dynamic IP address to as long as a week. In such case even not using a Dynamic DNS service you can change the IP on the DNS server just once a week.

Personally I'm like Robert, I prefer to pay $5 a month for a Linux hosted server account per domain name which have webpages presented on the internet. It's a small price to pay to miss the fun (headache) of running your own dedicated server (home PC), keeping security current, avoiding ISP conflicts, and doesn't draw potential hackers to your home system. If they can hack your server, they probably can also get into any shared folders on your home LAN and maybe crack open the whole thing and see whatever they want on all your home computers.

Pay $60 a year for someone else to have the headaches of running a server, or pay $50 for static IP and still have to do it all yourself.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.