General discussion

HOST redirection

i have posted on another forum about this problem without success.

i currently use my host file to block bad sites. what i would like to do is have http loopback requests redirected to my own html document. although i have some experience with apache, i am not keen on installing a full blown web server on my computer, even if it is firewalled. im looking for a small compact program that is secure and accepts only local connections. does anyone know of such software?

it must be possible,

thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HOST redirection
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HOST redirection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You still need a server.
- Collapse -
thanks

thanks mate that is exactly what i was looking for, it works a treat. i do have another question though. it is a long shot but here goes.

i just created my own html document but i would also like to add a link to my host file, one that will launch notepad. i have tried a batch file in my htdocs folder, several different href syntax variations but none work or they only serve as a "save as" link. is it possible? im assuming i would need to use a proper scripting language like php. just wondering if its possible with html.

- Collapse -
No more.

No more launching applications from web pages. I decline to detail the history of why this is no longer allowed and frowned upon.

- Collapse -
because

because it can be exploited? Silly

if not with html can it be done with a scripting language like JS?

- Collapse -
What is JS?

If javascript the answer is to write it and try. The bitter answer is that your protection software should block it if not the browsers. What you ask is far too dangerous today.

- Collapse -
thanks

thanks ill try that, but i wouldnt call my own script running on my local pc for my personal use to open notepad dangerous. and i can easily reconfigure my HIPS software. thanks again

- Collapse -
The reasons are simple.

Microsoft never "nailed" the security of the IE browser. The concept of 'zones' helped but research 'cross domain' and other exploits and you see the only cure is to disallow launching.

- Collapse -
ty

thanks, but i already know what XSS is. thanks for your help this thread can be closed.

CNET Forums

Forum Info