Resolved Question

"Host Process for Windows" keeps crashing.How do I fix this?

I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic (32 bit). I keep getting this message that "Host Process for Windows has encountered a problem and was closed." It happens every time I use the machine, and every time I wake it up from sleep mode. I don't notice any other problems with the machine, but the message keeps cropping up and it's very annoying. Suggestions welcome.

Discussion is locked
Smolderbox8 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: "Host Process for Windows" keeps crashing.How do I fix this?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: "Host Process for Windows" keeps crashing.How do I fix this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Check your Event Viewer

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, then check through both System and Application logs for any warning or error entries. They may give a clue what is causing this.

Mark

- Collapse -
This is what my event viewer says:

There are a number of events listed in the Application log. Can someone help me interpret this, and maybe suggest further action?

This "Application Error" turns up numerous times, and it might correspond to the issue I've been having:

"Faulting application svchost.exe_HPSLPSVC, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47918b89, faulting module hpslpsvc32.dll, version 110.0.180.0, time stamp 0x47e9a9da, exception code 0x40000015, fault offset 0x0002766c, process id 0x314, application start time 0x01cc7974b8595820."

- Collapse -
Could be a great clue.

I Googled that HPSLPSVC to see what it was and found a number of hits. Is this an HP computer, or do you have an HP printer connected and HP printer software installed?

If so, look at this; http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/HPSLPSVC/tg-p/tag-id/237/board-id/Networking

There I can see what might be a similar problem, "Officejet L7780 - HPSLPSVC - svchost.exe taking almost 100% of my CPU" in the link at http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/I-have-the-Officejet-L7780/m-p/47246#M2004

See if there is anything discussed that helps

Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) Looks like the HP printer driver. Uninstall, install newest
- Collapse -
Re: HPSLPSVC

This is what I find about that 'service':
Discovers and monitors the state and the
configuration of the HP devices attached to your network.

What HP devices do you have? Did you already ask HP tech support about the meaning of this error in their software?

Kees

- Collapse -
Problem solved!

I just uninstalled the drivers for an HP Printer (it's a printer I only use when visiting family) and that did it. Thanks for the advice!

- Collapse -
That's great

and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info