Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Host files

I am working on a family computer with Windows XP which they are wanting to add a better host file. They also want one that they will be able to add addresses as needed.

The only host file on that computer is the one from Spybot S&D
The spybot file cannot be added to and a quick scan shows that adding a www to some of the addresses that are being blocked allows the website to be viewed. If I can figure that out the younger generation is way ahead of me.

Not being very familiar with host files I would like some suggestions on which one to use. The more flexible the host file the better.

I know this is personnel preference but you experience and knowledge will be a great help.

Thanks for the help
Ray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Host files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Host files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Host Files

In reply to: Host files

Collapse -
Phil you are not alone but I did find a better place for www

sites. Some I don't know what is to be installed like: 181.6.87.194.dynamic.dol.ru/ quite a few have: .dynamic.dol.ru, same with .liveadvert.com. Do you use the numbers before the .? A lot goes into the Security Tab, Restricted, Sites can be listed with www., some will take ad. or ads., I have ad.yieldmanger.com, ad.doubleclick.net, ads.addynamix.com and even adopt.euroclick.net in that place. Darrell

Collapse -
It's Actually 'HOSTS' File

In reply to: Phil you are not alone but I did find a better place for www

..plural...and I use the same HOSTS described in the link that Curcat provided in her earlier post.. The file is basically a text file with the .txt file extendsion removed.. Adding or subtracting entries is generally easy. Add or remove the website of your choice..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Host

I've used a couple of them and as far as I can see it just a text file.

You can use your favorite edit prog and add or subtract entries as you want.

As for adding entries...I suppose you just fuss with it a little bit
until you get the format right (use the existing format as an example)
and then get an understanding of what you can and can not block.

Be aware that the host must be updated on a regular basis and
when you update all your add's will vanish.

I just keep a doc called My Blocks that contains my adds and when I
update the host I copy My blocks to the new host file and I'm
good to go.

Question....How long do you think it will take before the
Little Darlings figure out that all they have to do is rename
the host file and they can surf where ever they want?

Collapse -
Hosts File utilities

In reply to: Host

Collapse -
How Long??

In reply to: Host

Obviously, it depends on the computer knowledge and skill of the user. In my case, I made the "ETC" folder, where the HOSTS file resides, into a "hidden" folder.. On Windows XP, the HOSTS file is placed in a hard to find location. Therefore it's not easily discoverable UNLESS you happen to know it's supposed to be there, especially if it's hidden. Set all the users to "NOT" show "Hidden, protected operating system, and system files" and the folder disappears..

Next, I made all other users on the computer as "Limited" users.. All other users, except for me were not allow to install programs or change certain types of settings..

Granted, it's not a perfect answer but but it's easy and it sure helps.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ray: I Think That When...

Spybot has "IE Bad Download Blocker" (host file) enabled, the list (Spybot's)is read only.

Spybots "list" maybe separate from MS one in Internet Options. I believe Spybot uses it's BHO (IE Bad Download Blocker) to re-route IE through itself where it checks against it's own list before going on net. Spybot does add to it's list through the update process.
I do suspect it not as extensive as some others lists mentioned in your replies. Good Luck! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Thanks to all who helped

In reply to: Ray: I Think That When...

Make this Host File install an easy project.

Thanks to Carol for finding the link I never could. She's better than the search at cnet.

Thanks to Darrel for the www suggestion.

Thanks to Grif for the spelling correct LOL but most of all for the excellent "how to" and the hide suggestion.

Thanks to Donna for the easy way to update and or change the host files.I will use these on my own computer

Thanks to Sandy for verifying the spybot s&d read only.

And thanks to Bob B for the suggestions and the Little Darling is 32 years old and quite computer illerate at the time. So we probably have a longer time than usual as he does not care to learn only surf. Well I guess that is what you get for sending them to Texas A&M.

Ray

Collapse -
This is what the community for Ray :-)

In reply to: Thanks to all who helped

We all share what we know. We learn from each other too.
You're welcome and glad we all could help!

Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.