Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hospital that 'banned' hot cross buns to avoid offending non

by Mark5019 / April 10, 2007 10:31 AM PDT

Christians
by JAMES MILLS - More by this author

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hospital that 'banned' hot cross buns to avoid offending non
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hospital that 'banned' hot cross buns to avoid offending non
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In our church (Catholic)

a few years back we would celebrate Thursday of Easter Week with a traditional seder meal complete with the sounding of the shofar. None of us minded that for one evening a year we were Jewish. It was our resident nun who initiated the tradition here. She's had to move away for health reasons now and we miss experiencing other's traditions. We have a neighbor from India who is Hindu. He displays a few colored lights at Christmas time. So what's to cause anyone to come unglued about how the frosting is put onto a pastry? Such an amusing anecdote. We must have run out of important things to be concerned about. Happy

Collapse -
steve thats great
by Mark5019 / April 10, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

your church had brains and used them

Collapse -
At my synagogue....
by Josh K / April 15, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

...our Sunday School had a class called Comparative Religion (for teenage students). We learned about different religions all around the world.

Collapse -
Our church school
by Steven Haninger / April 15, 2007 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: At my synagogue....

K-8 where my wife teaches computer stuff, the religion curriculum also includes other than Catholic. I'm sure they are basic introductions to the differences into history, belief and practice rather than ideology. Christ being of Jewish descent is a big topic and embracing some of the traditions of that time are something that's cherished. Our adult program (which my wife is involved in as well) features quite a variety of speakers and presentations by folks of other faiths. My own thinking is that exposure to other thought is not harmful and often strengthens ones own beliefs.

Collapse -
I don't know how any proper Christian education program...
by Josh K / April 15, 2007 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Our church school

...could not include a study of Judaism. I'm glad your church understands that.

Collapse -
Judaism vs Rabbinicism
by James Denison / April 15, 2007 6:18 AM PDT

I think many Christian churches teach about primitive or early forms of Judaism as outlined in the Old Testament, but little is taught of Talmudic or Rabbinical concepts. Jesus condemned those of his day for teaching the commandments of men rather than the commandments of God, and most Christian groups take as applying to early and later rabbinical concepts.

Matthew 15:
1(A)Then some Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus (B)from Jerusalem and said,

2"Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they (C)do not wash their hands when they eat bread."

3And He answered and said to them, "Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?

4"For God said, '(D)HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER,' and, '(E)HE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER IS TO BE PUT TO DEATH.'

5"But you say, 'Whoever says to his father or mother, "Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God,"

6he is not to honor his father or his mother[a].' And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

7"You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:
8'(F)THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
9'BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS (G)DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.'"

10After Jesus called the crowd to Him, He said to them, "Hear and understand.

11"(H)It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."

12Then the disciples came and said to Him, "Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this statement?"

13But He answered and said, "(I)Every plant which My heavenly Father did not plant shall be uprooted.

14"Let them alone; (J)they are blind guides of the blind And (K)if a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit."
The Heart of Man

15Peter said to Him, "(L)Explain the parable to us."

16Jesus said, "Are you still lacking in understanding also?

17"Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated?

18"But (M)the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.

19"(N)For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.

20"These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man."

Collapse -
I was thinking more in a historical context...
by Josh K / April 15, 2007 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Judaism vs Rabbinicism

...since Jesus was Jewish, Christianity is directly descended from Judaism and they share the Old Testament. Studying Christianity without studying ancient Jewish history is a bit like studying rock and roll without studying the blues.

Collapse -
Excellent point and since
by Steven Haninger / April 15, 2007 8:40 AM PDT

Christian belief is that Jesus' life is the fulfillment of a promise to a people, it would leave quite an emptiness not to know who those people were and something of their history, struggles (both moral and for survival) and relationship to the object of their worship. History has both bitter and the sweet for both Christian and Jewish followers but it's tasting each that helps perfect the recipe. Happy

Collapse -
by caktus / April 10, 2007 11:35 AM PDT

I think the only problem is that they can't get their stories strait.

As far as possibly being offended. Who cares! If one doesn't like it, don't eat it or touch it. For crying out loud. It's bread! No one's trying to make any one change their beliefs.

This is the first I've ever heard of Easter [Monday]. Maybe it's just over my head.

Collapse -
Irrelevant to original story, but regarding Easter Monday
by Roger NC / April 10, 2007 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: reply
According to the Urban Legends and Campus Lore Web site,many government officials from that state once made it a practice to call in sick for the annual Easter Monday baseball game between North Carolina A&M (now N.C. State) and Wake Forest College.

The General Assembly made the day an official state holiday, beginning in 1935, and it remained so until 1987, when it was replaced by Good Friday.

The way I remember the tale, it was the big four spring baseball tournament (NC State, UNC, Wake Forest, and Duke), but otherwise still the same tale.

And so I grew up with Easter Monday holidays, and no Good Friday. In fact, just because it's never been changed, Easter Monday is still the holiday instead of Good Friday in the mill I work now.

Roger
Collapse -
How........
by caktus / April 10, 2007 1:52 PM PDT

do you see it as "Irrelevant to original story"? It was about the caterer suspecting the bread might offend some one based on religious belief. And it [is] just bread.

Hospital staff claim they were banned from handing out hot cross buns this Easter in case they upset non-Christians because "The manager of the catering department said he was worried about the ethnic minorities that work here." And hospital bosses said it was "due to an oversight by the catering manager who forgot to order them in time." Therefore, they really couldn't get their stories straight.

Collapse -
My story about the Easter Monday holiday in NC
by Roger NC / April 14, 2007 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: How........

was irrelevant to the original story.

A perhaps unclear advance acknowledgement that I was going off of a tanget in commenting about something that was particularly NOT revelant to the main point of discussion.

Or what I saw as the main point of the discussion, PC'ism running amok again. Being so overly sensitive to inadvertantly offending someone that you offend almost everyone.

Roger

Collapse -
I wonder if they have crescent rolls...
by EdH / April 10, 2007 1:40 PM PDT

or matzoh?

--Ed, the cartoonist who thinks he is a thinker!

Collapse -
Another quirky one

Saturday, we were picking up a computer at a small shop where we have them built for a school. While there, the guy handling the order (we know him quite well) got an emergency call from his wife. She needed him to pick up some yeast on his way home as she could not find the brand she wanted at the local market and needed it for her traditional bread. Hans (the computer guy) explained that she could only find Red Star brand and wanted Fleishmans. I noted there really wasn't a difference but he said his wife was Ukraine and Eastern Orthodox. Red Star reminded her of old Communism there. This was her only reason. Art Linkletter said it best. "People are Funny". Happy

Collapse -
People are funny
by taboma / April 13, 2007 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Another quirky one

Must admit that. Wonder what would happen if that star was the star of David?
What would she do than? All so dumb.
Hey, That reminds me, I never served hot cross buns on Easter! My wife made a Russian Easter bread in a bundt mold pan that was awesome.
Not one family member missed the hot cross buns.
I should bake them for the fourth of July celebration coming up. All my guests would look at them and exclaim "Oh, look, hot cross buns, my favorites!"
Not Easter Hot Cross Buns.
My favorite saying: Do not let your buns burn!

-Kevin

Collapse -
but did they ban them?
by jonah jones / April 10, 2007 8:52 PM PDT

A spokesman for Poole Hospital NHS Trust denied, however, that the absence of hot cross buns on Good Friday was anything to do with political correctness.

She claimed: "We do apologise to patients who missed out on their hot cross buns on Good Friday.

"This was due to an oversight by the catering manager who forgot to order them in time. It was nothing to do with religious beliefs.

and the "story" didn't even get a mention in the Poole Dorset section of the BBC news site...

Collapse -
Coca~Cola too!

Seems Coca Cola thinks any portrayal showing Jesus drinking a coke is harmful to it's product image.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18011368/

An Italian film showing Jesus Christ drinking Coca-Cola sparked such strong protest from the soft-drinks giant that it
blocked the film's Easter weekend premiere, the film makers said.
The film "7 km from Jerusalem" is about an Italian advertising executive who is soul searching after losing his job and marriage.
He flies to Jerusalem, where he runs into Jesus.
According to local press reports, he offers the returned Christ a can of Coca-Cola and, seeing Jesus drinking the beverage, thinks:
"What a testimonial!"
Apparently Coca-Cola disagreed.
"The multinational's Italian unit sent a legal letter forcing the elimination of the scene in which Jesus drinks the well-known
beverage," the producers said on the film's Web site.
Italian media reported that the company felt that the use of its brand was unacceptable and could get the company a bad image.

Collapse -
But wait. Santa Claus
by Steven Haninger / April 14, 2007 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Coca~Cola too!

is a common figure in Coca Cola ads and some think Santa is the more important representation of the year's last holidays. Where's the outrage? Wink

Collapse -
Santa vs Christ
by James Denison / April 14, 2007 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: But wait. Santa Claus

I wonder why the distinction by Coke? What basis? Maybe they think Santa is more acceptable to all their middle east muslim drinkers than Christ?
That Christ offended people there is no doubt, that's why they hung him on a cross. It was their PC version of that day to show if you got out of line and offended whatever powers that be to do what was better, they'd hang you.

Collapse -
Santa vs Christ
by EdH / April 14, 2007 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Santa vs Christ

Santa's got him on weight but JC has that whole miracle thing going. Santa in five rounds....

Seriously, supposedly Muslims consider Jesus to be a great prophet but not God. I don't know why they would be offended by him. But I think Jesus drinking a Coke would offend pretty much anybody.

Collapse -
Jesus' beverage choice
by Steven Haninger / April 15, 2007 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Santa vs Christ

probably something more down to earth like Mogen David or Manischewitz. He was known to make his own for special occasions. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?