Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hosed Hard Drive

by tooiemorgan / September 3, 2006 2:27 AM PDT

Okay, here's the story:

I have an HP laptop with xp on it that crashed a few weeks ago. I got the windows logo and the bar at the bottom but then it would go to asking me if i wanted to enter safe mode, last know good config etc. I didn't matter which one I chose, it would blink a blue screen of death and then reboot.

I've got data on the drive that I really need to recover and since windows seems to still be there, I'm feeling pretty hopeful that my data is still there too.

I got one of those casings to put my hard drive in and hooked it up to my desk top so that I could see if I could acess the data that way but that didn't work.

I put the drive back into the laptop and I got the Hiran boot cd for it. I saw that my hard drive was in 2 partions (boot and c:) and that there was unpartitioned space that equaled 1/2 the hard drive. I ran a scan for bad sectors and it came up with 4 errors. Since it seemed like there might be a boot problem I thought I would do a repair on that partition first (I also am trying desperately to save my data and didn't want to mess with it. I've been waiting for a friend to help me but it looks like he's not around). What happened was that rather than repairing the boot partition, it seems to have removed it!

Next I created a new partion out of the unpartitioned 40gigs. Then I cloned the c: to the new partiontion, thinking that my data would now be copied to a new destination in case I need to start messing with c:

So this is pretty much where it stands. I don't want to create a new boot partition (which contains the mbr? is that right?) without someone's advice and hopefully hand holding! If you can help, please send a response! If you think I should put it in a box and send it to a data recovery place and have one to reccomend I'm up for that suggestion too. I just thought if I could get my data off of this drive myself it would save me a whole stack of money. I am also on msn messenger (gemini-julie@hotmail.com) if you want to ping me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hosed Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hosed Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Posting email addresses is unwise, but read this link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2006 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Hosed Hard Drive
Collapse -
not worried
by tooiemorgan / September 3, 2006 3:08 AM PDT

this is a temp. email address. I won't be using it after I've fixed this issue! Thanks!

Collapse -
Not wise for other reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2006 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: not worried

It adds to the pollution and congestion on email servers and more.

Bob

Collapse -
gotcha
by tooiemorgan / September 3, 2006 3:45 AM PDT

Okay, thanks for the info! I visited the link you sent and went to the ZAR website, downloaded the software trial but am unsure how to proceed. It says it's not a boot disk. When I hook up my hosed drive to the desktop i'm on right now, windows won't finish installing the casing with the drive because it says it's corrupt. It never lists it in my drive list so I'm not sure how to make this ZAR software do it's thing.

Any thoughts? I have some utilities on the boot cd that i have that will create a MBR but i'm scared to do that without someone or some software walking me though it. I'm worried I'm going to over write my data. I did the clone thing with Norton Ghost but I can't confirm that the data has indeed been copied to the new partition because it took with it errors that are preventing me from going to that new drive d:

Do you think I should just give up and send it to someone? I feel like anyone who has a handle on what boot records and sectors and partitions etc etc are could help me - I just don't have a comfortable grasp on what shape my disk is in. And now when I turn it on it doesn't go through post, it says:

For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810X PCQ Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13(020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M)F: Exiting PXE ROM.

What the hell does THAT mean???!!! This is new! ...is it too early to get drunk?!

Thanks for your attention on this.
~morgan

Collapse -
What I do next is to put it in a desktop machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2006 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: gotcha

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!