Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Horrible Virus

by Winkie51 / October 14, 2009 8:52 AM PDT

I have windows XP. I had verizon security suite. I am infected with a virus that is so bad that I cannot access any other anti virus programs. Verizon tried to help online but the virus was so strong they could not fix it. They told me to take it to a shop. I am furious as we have paid for the anti virus protection and this is impossible. The virus is using Security Tool as its cover.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Horrible Virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Horrible Virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Security Tool
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 14, 2009 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Horrible Virus

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.33) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

* If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
* Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

On the Scanner tab:

* Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
* Then click on the Scan button.
* If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

* Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Notes: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes. Click this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.

IF IF you are not able to download these tools on your machine, please use a friend's or family member's computer and download the Malwarebytes tool and it's manual update from the link below.. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Your Name.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Your Name.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater

Good Luck and pls. let us know how you are doing.

Collapse -
Remove Security Tool and SecurityTool (Uninstall Guide)
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 14, 2009 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Security Tool
Collapse -
Security tool removal
by kypharm / October 21, 2009 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Security Tool

Good morning: One of my computers also picked up the Security tool.I was able to stop the process with explorer.exe and download Malwarebytes using firefox. However, when I try the install, it is blocked at the last step (can't find the file). I downloaded to a CD from my other computer but can't figure out how the rename the mbam-setup.exe file. It is a read only file. I use AT&T internet with the AT&T antivirus and antispyware. I ran both and the antivirus found 1 infected file but was unable to eliminate it. BTW AT&T is in the process of switchng to Mcafee- in your opinion is this a good idea. I haven't heard much good about Mcafee.
Thank you for any assistance-

Collapse -
Security tool
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 22, 2009 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Security tool removal

Once you downloaded MalwareBytes anti Malware, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Your Name.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Your Name.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Good Luck !

Collapse -
Security tool virus
by kypharm / October 22, 2009 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Security tool

Marianna: Thanks for responding to my message. My problem is that I don't know how to rename the file. When I right-click and choose rename, it indicates it is a read-only file and won't let me rename it.
Any ideas?

Collapse -
Are you able.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 22, 2009 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Security tool virus

...to right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run ?

Collapse -
Security Tool Virus
by kypharm / October 22, 2009 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you able.......

Marianna: For whatever reason I was able to rename the file this time.
I copied it to a CD and tried to install on the corrupted computer but is still won't install (can't find the file). I did notice when I go to Start/all programs, Security Tool and Malwarebytes are listed next to each other and highlighted in yellow- almost like Security Tool has hijacked Malwarebytes and made it part of Security Tool.

Collapse -
Did you download Process Explorer ?
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 22, 2009 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Security Tool Virus

Instructions are here:

Automated Removal Instructions for Security Tool using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

1. Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that is open later in the fix. Due to this malware infecting Internet Explorer, it is suggested that you use Firefox or another browser when following these instructions.

2. Before we can do anything we must first end the Total Security process so that it does not interfere with the cleaning process. To do this we must first download and install a Microsoft program called Process Explorer. Normally, we would have you use the Windows Task Manager, but this rogue will disable the ability to run it. Please download Process Explorer from the following link and save it to your C:\ folder. Please make sure you save it to the C:\ folder, or other folder, and not your desktop as Security Tool makes it so you cannot see your desktop:

More: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool

Collapse -
need help on getting trojins offf my computer,
by babygurl031290 / November 24, 2009 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Horrible Virus

hello im angel and i need help every time my computer get a big virus on it my mom has to help me restore it and now i gots viruses and also got the security tool that i can not get unstalled and i cant find it any were in my add and remove programs and i dont wanna have to restore my computer again so if there is any you can help it wud be my honor..so please let me now if u can help me..

thanks angel mackintosh

Collapse -
Use rkill and Malwarebytes
by Donna Buenaventura / November 24, 2009 8:57 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?