Laptops forum

General discussion

horrible customer support

by Serraph105 / May 19, 2010 4:04 PM PDT

So basically I'm done with Sony forever. Recently my Sony Vaio needed repairs so I took it to Best Buy. They told me that they would need to send it off to Sony for the repair. A few days later they called me saying that Sony would repair it for $150 and I approved it. After that Sony sent it back to Best Buy where I went to pick it up. Very quickly the person helping me checked it and realized that Sony had not fixed it so we sent it back immediately. About a week or two later I found out that Sony now wanted to charge me $330 for it. You would think they would be trying to offer me a discount for screwing up in the first place along with making me wait for nearly a month for a simple soddering job, but no. Instead they tried to more than double the price. Considering it's a 45 minute drive out to Best Buy they owe gas money at this point.

Naturally I was peeved and called Sony's customer service. They proceeded to tell me that they are not allowed to discuss pricing with me despite the fact I am the one they are charging. I then asked to be transfered to someone who could discuss pricing and somehow I got the same story. Then I got Best Buy to call Sony where they proceeded to tell them that they could not discuss pricing with Best Buy either. So just to be clear Sony is "not allowed" to discuss pricing with either their customer nor the dealer. Finally I told them to send the computer back to me un-repaired as I had no intention of allowing them to double the price on me.

I hope that anybody who reads this listens and doesn't buy from Sony.

Anyone else have bad experience with Sony that they would like to share? It would make me feel better.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: horrible customer support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: horrible customer support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pick any name.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 8:46 PM PDT

And this story repeats. What Sony did get right is the PS3 repair rate. It has a flat rate "we fix it no matter what's broken" price so there is no reason to haggle.

Sony fixed my unit (rather they replaced it with something they had ready to go) and our unit had multiple issues from heat to a cracked case.

It too exactly 10 days and exactly the price they offered.

The new machine is shiny, works super and Sony did good.

Back to laptops. It's a shame they must quote a price of repair on a machine they don't have to inspect and see what's needed. If it's some LCD, that's one price, the motherboard, another and just a hard drive, a low price.

Would you accept the concept they took with the PS3?
Bob

Collapse -
depends
by Serraph105 / May 20, 2010 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Pick any name.

well it depends of course on the price. Naturally if I cant pay it I would be unhappy. Also have you read my story before?

anyways if Sony were to fix my laptop in a timely manner and not try to double the price on me if they screw up than yeah I'm quite sure I wouldn't have a problem with them.

Collapse -
Your story is our story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: depends

Just change the names and the story repeats for most of us. Sorry for the typographic error. It "took" only 10 days.

It's a shame they didn't quote the high price and then come in lower. Then your feelings would be much different.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?