Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

HORRIBLE connectivity problems WinXP x64 Pro

by johnnyboy4ever / September 9, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

Wow, where to begin...

eMachines M6805, newly, and freely, refurbished by Gateway.

WinXP Home, registered, was so unbearable (couldnt even install DX9.0c because the drivers werent signed? downloaded them from microshaft anywho) that I HAD to install something else. Went with WinXP x64 PRO, a veritable speed demon. I would have went with XP PRO, but the game i usually play (old game from '97, tribes) does not like winxp...

Anywho, that's where I'm at. I have installed very little. Broadcom's wireless utilities, modified catalyst drivers (to allow 1280x800), VLC Media Player, Shareaza, Azureus, and K-Lite Full Codec Pack... that's it.

The problem is, well, when i start windows, my internet seems to work fine, or mostly fine. But over the course of an hour, at best, my internet connectivity is so unbearable, that if i ping google, i drop 75% of the packets and a 50~1200ms ping (normally 32ms average on WinXP Home), if I'm playing my game, i have a 500+ms ping and packet loss. Web pages rarely load, and if they do they take forever (20-30 sec a page on craigslist).

On top of all of this, The broadcom drivers, have built in support for AMD64's (i had this problem before and after the installation of these drivers), and i had hoped that they would have solved the problem. I also, have slimmed down the services in my M6805 to the bare minimums, or at least, the recommended as per blackviper's OS guides (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) in an effort to solve these problems.

I'm at a loss of what to do. "ipconfig /flushdns" seems to minimally alleviate the problem, at least, for another period of time (I actually just thought to try this right now... so far, its phenomenally better... for now) Any other suggestions?

Thx in advance as always.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HORRIBLE connectivity problems WinXP x64 Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HORRIBLE connectivity problems WinXP x64 Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, that's the x64 lesson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 3:41 AM PDT

I've found drivers to be left in almost working condition. There's little that can be done except to change hardware and hope the new hardware's drivers are better.

Or go back to 32bit Windows.

Bob

Collapse -
How about a different adapter?
by johnnyboy4ever / September 9, 2007 8:43 PM PDT

Would plugging in the laptop via an ethernet cable solve this problem?

Is there any fully functioning pcmcia wireless cards for x64?

"ipconfig /flushdns" is working great, i just need to do it every few hours... I dont even quite understand what this does, but I know it usually helps Silly In fact, upon starting up windows, if i ping google, i get a 50ms ping, if i run "ipconfig /flushdns" it drops to the 30-33ms i get in 32bit...

I dunno, I swore that when i downloaded the broadcom drivers, they had x64 drivers built in (but, it either installed them automatically, or forgot to :P) ... Dunno, just ranting, trying to find a semi-permanent solution... x64 is way too fast not to try. If i fail, ill go back to 2k pro

Collapse -
fully functioning pcmcia wireless cards for x64?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2007 12:06 AM PDT

From your post yours are fully functioning. Your complaint is about performance, not function.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.