Question

Horizontal & Vertical Frequency Out of Range

I'm running Win7 x64 with 5GB RAM. I have the Planar PXL2430MW monitor and it flashes on and off in a somewhat random fashion. I just reduced the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1776x1000 and it seems to have corrected the problem. The picture is obviously smaller with black borders and my question is how I correct this so I have the picture size back.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Horizontal & Vertical Frequency Out of Range
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Horizontal & Vertical Frequency Out of Range
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Just one idea

Some folk try to exceed the 60Hz rate. You did change the pixel sizes but I see no mention of rate adjustments. Remember that there is NO STANDARD for setting that. ATI does it with their control panel, Nvidia another method and so why didn't you go in there and force the rates to what your display will do?

- Collapse -
Answer
Check and see

Most monitors have a "native setting" that it best works at. Also, the video card may as well do the same. However, typically the monitor will be the setting to best use. Of course the video card has to support that. further, if this is a demanding setting or extreme in some way, the quality of the devices comeinto play. All this can be done as trial and error method, but if a setting seems to cause grief then you settle for one that doesn't. Sometimes, the cure is to replace a device that better suits whatever it is being used for. ATI and Nvidea both provide their "video setting manager" to best handle or just test before final use. Both also offer to test the setting before accepting, so see if yours does this. I exclude any actual h/w fault, which can confuse things. generally, speaking, the specs provides what works best or the "defaults" expected.

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
I don't know how to modify my post...

The screen started blacking out for five or so seconds at the new resolution so I put it back to 1920x1080. The Horizontal Frequency is 67.5 KHz and the Vertical Frequency is 60.0 Hz and the Pixel Clock (???) is 148.5 MHz. I'm super-frustrated with this and didn't spend $220 to deal with this... Thank you so much!

- Collapse -
See customer support at link.
- Collapse -
The native resolution of this monitor is 1920x1080 at 60hz.

when using hdmi connection so it's best to set the video card sitting as close to this as possible. However, if you want other resolution/s and you can't live with black border, then I would suggest using the vga connection instead (but the refresh rate probably works best at 60hz though).

- Collapse -
The problem is...

>.. that I have no way of adjusting the image. When selecting "Manual Image Adjust", I can only choose from "Video Mode Adjust" or "Preset Mode" because everything else is grayed out. Even then, the only choices are "Horizontal Size", "H./V. Position", "Fine Tune" and "Sharpness". The monitor has already been replaced by Planar because they couldn't figure it out and this did not happen with my old 20" flat screen so it's not the video card. Thanks again...

- Collapse -
Answer
The specs

Since this monitor has relatively fast response time, and your results plus its a 24in. monitor suggest your video card can't keep up. Why, you have varied freqs. your report, shouldn't be customized at those levels other than primary scan freq.. You didn't supply your PC specs model and video source, so it's an open question. Again, I exclude any h/w fault, but I would tend to look at the video source. If this video source is found by the mtrbd. video port as in "build-in" then I suggest you step-up to a capable video card.

You can ask them what's the deal as its happening during its initial install. They may suggest something.

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
I think you confirmed what I was running from...

My PC is almost five years old and although there were no problems with the 20" monitor that I had, I didn't give full consideration to the fact that the computer couldn't keep up with the monitor. Since I bought this touchscreen as the first step in building my version of WOPR (see WarGames), it looks like now is the time for the build... Thanks Willy (even though it'll cost me! lol)

CNET Forums