General discussion

Horizontal Lines During Warm-Up of LN40A630M1F

Hey--

Recently, when I turn on my LN40A630, for the first 20 minutes of having the TV on, there will be 3 horizontal lines evenly spaced across the TV, and on the right half of the TV the picture has a shadow effect and "smears" the image across the screen. Then after it has warmed up, the picture will just fix itself all of a sudden, and the screen will appear fine.

When I leave the TV off for more than a few minutes, the TV will go back to having the lines across the screen, and will take another 20 minutes to fix itself. I've moved from component to HDMI cables - so I know that isn't an issue, and I've had previous LCDs hooked up to this same outlet and cable box, so I don't think that's the issue.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions for me to try? The smear appears on all the inputs, so I know it's the TV, but it's so wierd how it fixes itself. I have the screen SQ01, for those who are curious.

If I can post pictures, I have them, and will - it may help to better show the problem.

Thanks,
Ryan

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Horizontal Lines During Warm-Up of LN40A630M1F
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Horizontal Lines During Warm-Up of LN40A630M1F
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Popped Capacitators
- Collapse -
Horizontal Lines During Warm-Up of LN40A630M1F

t.ryanbrooks,

If you have pictures, feel free to post them to imageshack.us or photobucket.com and then post the links here. I'd be interested in looking into this situation further.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Pictures of Samsung LN40A630

HDTech -- Glad to see you're back! Hope you had a nice vacation/time off. I'm really glad you saw my post, I'm hoping to get some useful guidance if I can from this forum.

Here is a link to several pictures that show the problem I'm having with my Samsung. Usually, it takes 20-25 minutes before the screen becomes normal again.

http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22/studlyspudly/Samsung%20LN40A630/

- Collapse -
LN40a630 Horizontal Lines Issue

Hey HDTech--

Have you had a chance to think about this at all yet? I think I'm going to open up the back and see if there any broken capacitors this weekend. If I see that they are broken, I will probably try to fix the issue on my own by getting new ones and soldering them in place. I was just hoping for some yay or nay that that might solve my problem. Thanks in advance!

--Ryan

- Collapse -
LN40a630 Horizontal Lines Issue

t.ryanbrooks,

I've asked several experts, and I don't have any definitive diagnosis. It's likely a part of the electronics (rather than the panel), but without looking at it, I can't give a definitive diagnosis.

I apologize, I thought I had posted a reply to this.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Electronics Part

Hey HDTech--

The capacitors are part of the electronics part that you mentioned is likely the source of the problem, correct? I agree with you that it's probably not the LCD panel. If the tv consistently gets a good image after 20 minutes, the LCD panel is likely fine, I would imagine.

The first place I'm going to look is the power supply part - BN44-00198A. I haven't opened anything yet, but this is where I expect to find the blown capacitors.

Thoughts? Will also keep everyone posted on my actions and their results.

Thanks!

- Collapse -
bad picture on warm up

I had the power on/off problem and when it finally powered up the picture was distorted for about 20 min before becoming normal. I replaced the power capacitors and now my RB powers up normally but the picture is still bad for the initial 20 min. How can I fix this picture warm up issue

- Collapse -
Twist Screen Like Wringing Out a Towel

Hey -- I have opened up the TV twice now, the first time to check for popped capacitors, and the second to do a little bit of in house cleaning. I took an electronics air cleaner type thing and tried to blow out all of the dust where LCD parts were connected. The problem seems to be improving. It's not perfect, and every time I do turn the TV on the problem reoccurs, but it no longer takes 20 minutes to fix, I just have learned how to twist my screen so that the two pieces that need to touch are touching properly.

If your TV looks like mine does in the pictures I posted, I would suggest the method of gently twisting the screen like you are wringing out a towel and see if you notice the picture getting more clear or worse when you move the screen in different directions.

Just gently grasp the sides of each and do a little bending (you'll know if it's too much).

- Collapse -
Similar Problem (Fixed!)

Coming to this five and a half years late...

Having had a similar problem on my LG tv (although it looked a bit different to your pictures, just colourful vertical lines during the "warm up" phase), I eventually discovered a similar thing to what you have described here. First thing I noticed (eventually!) was that the picture was actually absolutely fine when the screen was pretty much flat against the table, then the having it vertical, if I lightly applied some pressure in the right place, the image would sort itself out.

Long story short, turns out it was just a poor connection on one of the flexi PCB connectors around the panel itself. A bit of sticky tape to just hold it on in place a bit better seems to have sorted it out nicely, for now!

- Collapse -
Hori Lines on a TNT4661FX/XAA

I have had similar issues too. Started with lines that would go away after TV warmed up. Started to take longer and longer. This started 15 months after purchase (out of warranty). This was still early in this product failure and there was not much info out there. What I could find suggested a new lvds cable and TCON board. Bought them and swapped them out with no improvement.

After 3 more months, I began to get the dreaded "clicking" sound during power-up. This progressed to the point where it would take 30+ minutes to finally get the TV to power-up. At this point we just left it on to avoid both issues.

A few more months later and the same horizontal lines that have been posted in this thread came back and would not go away. I finally broke down and pulled the power board out and replaced the two bad (bulging) 10v 1000uF caps with 35v ones.

The TV comes on great now, BUT the horizontal lines are still there. They still do not seem to go away after the TV "warms up". I tried the lvds cable and TCON card again too just to be complete with no difference in the picture. I have tried the "twisting" too which does change the picture but does not remove the lines and shadowing (it can make it worse).

Samsung will send someone out to replace the power board if that is all that is wrong even if you are out of warranty, but they will not do anything to address this issue which was, I am 95% sure, caused by the defective power supply.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

- Collapse -
Ahh
- Collapse -
LNT-4661 Horizontal lines

I have the same symptoms with my Samsung 46" LCD tv 28 months old. After 20 minutes the picture is clear. The TV also clicks repeatedly up to 12 times until it turns on. Is this related to the capacitor problem directly or indirectly?

- Collapse -
LN52A850

I have been looking all over the internet for someone with the same problem and how to fix it!! I had seen posts about the T-Con board, but didn't think that would be the problem since the picture is there, just not correct. I believe that the issue is with the Voltage Inverters, my model has two...a master and a slave. The next step would be to buy one and see if that is the problem, I just didn't want to spend ~$70 when I'm not positive.

Matt

- Collapse -
try this thread
- Collapse -
Same problem with 46inch Samsung LCD

About 2 years old, and 3 lines and shadows during 20+ minutes of warm up. Any fixes anyone is aware of?

- Collapse -
Same problem with 46inch Samsung LCD

JDEKZ,

- Collapse -
same problem with LN40A650

I too am experiencing lines and distorted picture that clear after 20 min. Took the set to a authorized Samsung repair center as directed by Samsung. The LCD panel was diagnosed to be def. and not available anywhere. So far, have 3 diff. incident reports from level 2 escalation,the last one talking about possible set replacement on a pro-rated basis. Paid $1399 2 yrs. ago. Now,new 40" sets run around 799.to $999. Whats to pro-rate? Have to wait till next week to hear from Samsung exchange dept.

- Collapse -
(NT) Clicking and horizontal lines
- Collapse -
be sure to finish your post with

Country, Transaction Number and more.

- Collapse -
Same problem

I have a 42inch Samsung plasma and it has major issues at startup it has 40 or so horizontal lines with a slew of colors then all of the sudden it starts working

- Collapse -
Same problem 2

The model of my TV is pn42c450b1dxza

- Collapse -
(NT) Same problem
- Collapse -
Same problem 2

Please help I heard it could be the y axis board but it still works I'm thinking it needs to be opened up and cleaned very good it is extremely dusty maybe it's just dirty I hope

- Collapse -
That sounds like you are looking for a TV repair forum.

This forum has yet to show any TV techs showing up. While you need to know about samsungparts.com for finding the service manual along with shopjimmy.com and ebay, not TV techs have shown up here to turn this into a TV repair forum.

So there it is. Get estimates and if you are intent on self repair, be safe as well as knowing where service manuals and parts come from.

- Collapse -
As you write it's the same.

At 6+ years old get estimates. Here the cost of a 50 inch new smart TV is less than repair.

- Collapse -
Reply to same problem 2

I can repair it myself I was hoping someone on here knew the exact problem I may be on the wrong forum which leads me to exactly what is this forum for?

- Collapse -
Hope this posts.

I see my post about TV repair forums. You can ask any question you wish here but I've yet to find any tech diagnose gear here. Some are upset about that but a few bad actors (not just here) DEMANDED techs to give free diagnosis plus demanded the diagnosis be correct.

It really doesn't matter that the problem has been seen before. I've worked on "same thing" gear and one time it's a cable, the next time it's a board and then it's something else. Only your newest of techs think this problem, same fix every time.

AVS Forums still gets into repair from time to time but you have to be careful and undemanding. You also have to show initiative as well as willingness to buy service manuals and parts. TV techs buy those manuals all the time. Can you guess why?

CNET Forums

Forum Info