TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Horizontal dark and light grey lines on Toshiba 34HFX85 ?

by RUNNINRIVERS / February 13, 2006 10:18 AM PST

New Toshiba 34HFX85 currently running through DirectTV box(non-HD). Tried output through standard RF cable as well as S-cable. These are new cables. Haved tried switching with previous cables, no luck. My new DVD progressive scan player(SONY) does not fare much better. Horizontal line are gone but still have similar other characteristics, ie soft picture,some bleeding colors and overall grainy picture. The "crystal scan technology" in this unit is supposed to increase the input signals to 1080i. I've tried switching to 540p,540i and 1080i. All look like crap.
Any suggestions please.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Horizontal dark and light grey lines on Toshiba 34HFX85 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Horizontal dark and light grey lines on Toshiba 34HFX85 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Were are the lines???
by jcrobso / February 14, 2006 2:29 AM PST

Are they in the picture or on the top and bottom, or in the middle of the picture Does this set a OTA ASCT HD tuner? have you tried an antenna to see if you still have the problem?

Collapse -
Horizontal grey lines.
by RUNNINRIVERS / February 14, 2006 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: Were are the lines???

The lines are running through the entire picture in a horizontal pattern. They show more on darker backgrounds it seems. I'm running through a standard DirecTV box. This TV is supposed to convert incoming signal up to 1080i. It's just not that clear. A little grainy and color bleeds in addition to the grey lines. I can't currently use an off-air antenna. I've heard different opinions as to whether an HD box would improve my existing channels or not? Was not looking to pay $11.00 a mo and a 2 yr commitment for 8 channels of high def ub nless it somehow improved my existing non-HD chanels?
Thanks.

Collapse -
hook up an antenna,,,
by jcrobso / February 15, 2006 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Horizontal grey lines.

If you have the same problem with the antenna, take the set back, this is a warrenty problem. John

Collapse -
Toshiba 34hfx85 crt
by RUNNINRIVERS / February 17, 2006 1:45 PM PST

Service call says nothing is wrong with picture?
Technician states that people just are not aware of "BAD RECPTION" issues when viewing analog signals on HD tv's.
I've got the directv hd box on order-will update later.

Collapse -
Hate To Be The Bearer Of Bad News
by RoadRunner6 / February 17, 2006 3:33 PM PST

You say this TV is new. Can you still return it?

I purchased the 30" version of the Toshiba Cinema Series 16x9 CRT TV a little over a year ago. I had it for about a week and returned it. I had to argue vehemently with the dealer and only could get an in store credit. They tried to make it seem like I was the only one who had ever been dissatisfied with this series of TV's. I bought two DVD recorders with the credit.

The TV was a big disappointment, both with standard definition cable TV and also a Panasonic progressive scan DVD player. Poor picture quality with lots of noise, geometric distortion and not acceptable especially in comparison to the 27" Sony which it was suppose to replace. The 8 year old Sony had a far superior picture. I always thought Toshiba made excellent quality CRT's but they have obviously gone way downhill.

I then checked online and found lots of bad comments about this series. In Consumer Reports March 2006 issue, they rate the 34HFX85 as fair (2 stars out of 5 stars) on their four picture quality columns. The Sony's rated 4 and 5 stars. A few months ago I finally bought a 37" 8UK series Panasonic EDTV plasma. It cost about $1450 compared to the $900 for the Toshiba but is so much better it is not even close. Sony is the only CRT left that still has excellent picture quality.

Again, I'm sorry to post this but I think you will probably come to the same conclusion eventually and you might need some amunition and know that you are not alone if you decide to return it.

Best of luck with this TV situation.

RR6 (Chuck(

Collapse -
Phillips CRT sets!!!! great!!!
by jcrobso / February 28, 2006 5:51 AM PST

I got a 26" Phillips CRT direct view 2 weeks ago.
Great picture it scan converts everthing to progressive.
OTA analog looks good, not as good as HD but as good my old 20" CRT did. In analog 3x4 mode I now have 23" picture.
The strech modes are realy good. Has AV/Svideo, component and HDMI. $499 from Phillips web site.
They also ahve 30" models.
Sam's has the 30" model. John

Collapse -
Hate To Be The Bearer Of Bad News
by RoadRunner6 / February 17, 2006 3:35 PM PST

You say this TV is new. Can you still return it?

I purchased the 30" version of the Toshiba Cinema Series 16x9 CRT TV a little over a year ago. I had it for about a week and returned it. I had to argue vehemently with the dealer and only could get an in store credit. They tried to make it seem like I was the only one who had ever been dissatisfied with this series of TV's. I bought two DVD recorders with the credit.

The TV was a big disappointment, both with standard definition cable TV and also a Panasonic progressive scan DVD player. Poor picture quality with lots of noise, geometric distortion and not acceptable especially in comparison to the 27" Sony which it was suppose to replace. The 8 year old Sony had a far superior picture. I always thought Toshiba made excellent quality CRT's but they have obviously gone way downhill.

I then checked online and found lots of bad comments about this series. In Consumer Reports March 2006 issue, they rate the 34HFX85 as fair (2 stars out of 5 stars) on their four picture quality columns. The Sony's rated 4 and 5 stars. A few months ago I finally bought a 37" 8UK series Panasonic EDTV plasma. It cost about $1450 compared to the $900 for the Toshiba but is so much better it is not even close. Sony is the only CRT left that still has excellent picture quality.

Again, I'm sorry to post this but I think you will probably come to the same conclusion eventually and you might need some amunition and know that you are not alone if you decide to return it.

Best of luck with this TV situation.

RR6 (Chuck(

Collapse -
Hearing different views of non-hd content on DirectTV HD rec
by RUNNINRIVERS / February 24, 2006 12:29 PM PST

DirectTV is due at my house on Monday morning. Will be installing New HD receiver along with an external antenna to hopefully pick up OTA local channels.
Hope to see a "big" difference in HD progaming with HDMI set up.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How is it going?????? John
by jcrobso / March 1, 2006 2:35 AM PST
Collapse -
RUNNERRIVERS HOW IS IT GOING?
by stewart norrie / March 1, 2006 7:00 AM PST

When You get your new direct h-d box it will knock your socks off. Also just install a good standard outside antenna with 75 ohm cable to the box You will find your over the air channels should look beautiful

Collapse -
New DirecTV HD Box
by RUNNINRIVERS / March 1, 2006 7:57 PM PST

Yeah,
The ESPN and Discovery HD channels do look pretty sharp, but the Showtime,HBO HD movie channels and some of the others leave something to be desired.
Other than the afore mentioned, alot of the HD content seems to still be grainy-especially on dark areas?
The DirecTV installed OTA antenna picks up only a couple of "local" HD channels (within 30 mi radius)
Not sure if the RF antenna/transmitter on the back of the HD box would help reception by moving it out from inside the entertainment center. Haven't gotten the effort together to start re-routing wires again.
Thanks.

Collapse -
RUNNINRIVERS MORE INFORMATION

You should be getting a stunning picture if its set up right Are you using d.v.i. or an h.d.m.i. interface cable . Also check the menue in the dish hi-def box and make sure its set to 16X9 and 1080 format Also I own the dish network 811 box and It gave a nasty picture using componit vidio cables so I changed to d.v.i In closing make sure you run 75ohm cable from your antenna to the dish box, I live 75 miles from San Francisco and all station come in perfectly Keep playing with it you will get it perfect

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.