Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hope you state isn't in this sort of mess

by Steven Haninger / September 30, 2009 11:23 PM PDT
taxes versus gambling

Our governor tried to balance the state budget by making the unilateral decision to put slot machines at race tracks but found that any such implementation required public referendum. So now, he's backing off of tax cuts that were approved prior to his taking office? Can these guys just do that on a whim? I thought a promise was a promise. Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hope you state isn't in this sort of mess
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hope you state isn't in this sort of mess
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see little difference between legalized gambling...
by grimgraphix / October 1, 2009 2:09 AM PDT

... and legalized drug dealing. Those who can least afford to gamble... those with the least amount of disposable income, are the most likely to be the ones to frequent slot machine parlors, in the hopes of supplementing their incomes.

My state allowed slots to be placed in a variety of licensed establishments several years ago. The parking lots of these "hole in the Wall" gambling dens were packed 24 hours a day as soon as these clubs opened. I talked to people who would mention they stopped in to these places for a beer and a quick round of gambling, and more often ended up there all night and lost their paychecks. A year after these establishments went in, billboards could be seen in every city advertising gambling anonymous hot lines.

Collapse -
(NT) govt gambling is like a Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme
by James Denison / October 1, 2009 5:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Question
by Angeline Booher / October 1, 2009 4:20 AM PDT

How did Ohio get into such great financial shape that the income tax could be reduced? I don't think there are many states that are not struggling.

Was it because of $$$ from the track?

A typical family of four earning $100,000 would pay $169 more in income tax under Strickland's proposal than it would if the final year of the tax cut were to remain in effect.

Taxpayers' losses would have been even higher had not the personal exemption increased by $50 for the 2009 tax year. Because of the increase that taxpayers can claim for themselves and their dependents, many Ohioans still would pay less in total state taxes for 2009 under the governor's proposal than they paid for 2008, officials said.

I am math-challenged, but not to the point to know that t takes money to run a state, and that money has to come from somewhere.

The Governor had planned on the slots to cover the short-fall, but legal questions arose.

So just where do those claiming foul expect the short-fall to come from? Do they think they can cut enough employees, employee benefits, and whatever "waste" they find will do the job?

My guess is that the economic near-collapse of recent times was not anticipated when the 21% tax reduction plan went into effect. As circumstances change, a new game plan follows. This will be a huge political football.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Well, maybe the lesson is
by Steven Haninger / October 1, 2009 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

That incumbents shouldn't extend these kind of programs past their own term in office. As to what action should be taken to ease the shortfall, I can't answer this but the reason for the shortfall isn't advanced math. It's income tax and spending based. Folks don't have the income to spend. A store owner whose customers have less to spend, can't make up his own shortfall by raising prices on what they buy. So what's the logic in government raising taxes when fewer people have the money to pay them?

There's more to this and other gambling interests that are trying to come into the state who've been turned down at the voting booth time after time. They don't give up but keep coming back. I don't understand what part of "No" they don't get but our governor is now supporting them as well. Personally, I don't want gambling money to be woven into our local economy to the point that it becomes a necessity. And I definitely don't want a governor looking to raise other taxes during times when gambling proceeds are off such as has happened with our state lottery used for public school funding. That's already happened. Schools get in trouble when lottery ticket sales are down. That's not what was supposed to happen.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?