Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

hope I am in the right forum

by MRTIGRE1 / August 14, 2006 7:22 AM PDT

I am having the worst time trying to access ''www.adobe.com'' and the ''www.shockwave.com'' , ''www.macromedia.com''. web sites. I would like to get a copy of shockwave player and macromedia flash player. about 3-4 weeks ago I had no problem getting in , now i understand that there is a merger between adobe and shockwave. I tried contacting them but no answer or knowledge as to what is going on with the website. all third party sites that advertise shockwave player and flash player software for download do it by having a link to the macromedia and adobe/shockwave web sites and the trying to access the sites creates the problem all over again . Does anybody have any knowledge as to what is going on? Are they really off the web , I would like to know if they changed their isp address, or is it me. I would like to know so that I can take an alternate route to finish this project.
Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hope I am in the right forum
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hope I am in the right forum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They're all still up...
by John.Wilkinson / August 14, 2006 10:31 AM PDT

* Adobe.com is working normally.
* Macromedia.com automatically redirects to adobe.com now that the merger is complete.
* Shockwave.com isn't affiliated with the Macromedia/Adobe program Shockwave...it's actually a kid's gaming website by Atom Entertainment, Inc.

Now, if you would like us to help you troubleshoot the issue please include the details of the problem, including:
* What OS are you running?
* What browser(s) have you tried?
* What security software is installed?
* What exactly happens when you try to go to adobe.com?
* What is the exact error message, if applicable?

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
problem with accessing www.adobe.com and www.macromedia.com
by MRTIGRE1 / August 15, 2006 9:09 AM PDT

John here are the answers you need.
1.) I am using microsoft explorer 6.0/outlook express 6.0.
2. I have no security software running as of yet
3. I get an error message "this page cannot be displayed" when I try 'to initiate www.macromedia and/or
www.adobe.com, however www.adoebe.com gives me the latest in adobe facilities. I don't know if it is also another hidden unknown web page or not.
hope this helps.`

Collapse -
OK...
by John.Wilkinson / August 15, 2006 9:30 AM PDT

1.) www.adoebe.com is NOT a legitimate website. It is one created by an unknown third-party that feeds on people looking for adobe.com and making a mistake while typing the URL. Thus, it is one best avoided.

2.) Click here to download the alternative browser Firefox and see if you can access adobe.com using it.

3.) Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open the file HOSTS using Wordpad or Notepad. Look down the list and see if you find adobe.com...if so delete the line, save the file, and try again.

4.) You really do need some form of protection. Make sure you pick up a firewall, antivirus, and antispyware program. Free options include ZoneAlarm Basic firewall, Avast Home antivirus, and Windows Defender.

Keep us posted.
John

Collapse -
response to your suggestions re: www.adobe, www.macromedia
by MRTIGRE1 / August 15, 2006 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: OK...

John;
I was successful in getting mozilla firefox. I then tried to access webite www.adobe.com, and www.macromedia.com. I got the same problem of not being able to access them, perhaps they were not on line or temporarily closed was the error message.During the attempt to get to those websites, I saw the time bar moving but it began to slow down to a crawl about half way through the search. finally when I went to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc, I got as far as the drivers sib catagory and then couldn't find the "ETC" level. Please advise me as what to do next? Thank You

Don Rago

Collapse -
Three possibilities...
by John.Wilkinson / August 16, 2006 12:55 PM PDT

1.) You overlooked the folder, though not likely.
2.) The directory was deleted or moved somewhere along the way.
3.) You're using an operating system other than Windows 2000/XP. In Windows 9x/ME the HOSTS file is just located in the Windows directory (C:\WINDOWS\).

Since the 'block' affects multiple browsers the HOSTS file is the most likely culprit. If that's not it then I'd run the scans mentioned previously to make sure it's not a malware issue.

If you still cannot locate the HOSTS file there are two options:
1.) Go Start->Search and scan the local drive for the file.
2.) Go Start->Run, type in regedit, and navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath and see what directory the HOSTS file is set to be in.

Hope this helps and let us know.
John

Collapse -
access to adobe, macromedia
by MRTIGRE1 / August 16, 2006 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Three possibilities...

john;
i am sorry i didn't get back to yo sooner. It seems that using mozilla did the trick. However occasionally it will still give me the "NOT FOUND" error when I try to access either one of them. then when I retry it will then connect. Just one last thing, if I wanted to totally change over to modzilla/thunderbird as a perminant browser/e-mail, could you please tell me what's involved to do so?
Thanks for everything, I really appreciate your time and effort in this matter.
Don

Collapse -
Sorry for the delay...
by John.Wilkinson / August 20, 2006 6:00 AM PDT

I use multiple browsers and computers so I occasionally bookmark a post with the intent of coming back to it but then lose track of it.

Assuming you're using Windows XP, you can set your default programs by going Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs. Once there, click ''Set Program Access and Defaults'' from along the right side. Then expand Custom and select Firefox as your browser and Thunderbird as your mail client and click OK.

Now, since you can occasionally get through it may be a corrupt registry entry concerning your internet connection. Again assuming Windows XP, click here to download Winsock XP Fix, a free utility that can correct such problems.

Hope this helps and again, sorry for the delay.
John

Collapse -
Try the URL from here
by PudgyOne / August 22, 2006 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for the delay...

Try the URL from here.

http://www.adobe.com/

I tried to go there the otherday and I also got an error message. I had to get there a different way. It might have something to do with their redirecting.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
tried but no success
by MRTIGRE1 / August 23, 2006 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the URL from here

RICK;
thanks for trying to help. I tried what you had suggested. it started off ok but died in the middle of the attempt to link to adobe. I got an error telling me that it couldn't find the address. just like with macromedia.com and prior attempt's with adobe.com. all oF the other web sites I have no problems with , others memnbers om this forum tell me that they can get in but not me! I am at a point now where the only reason I am making a big hassle about this is not because I need to download a plugin from there anymore but how come others can connect and I can't.
thanks again, if you think of anything pls let me know, Don

Collapse -
The version of Windows
by PudgyOne / August 23, 2006 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: tried but no success

The version of Windows that you are using was not mentioned. If you are using anything other than Windows 95, 98 or ME, you have to be signed in as the administrator to install it. If that doesn't works, check your hosts file.

The website has been runing at the url that I listed.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
I just tried to
by PudgyOne / August 23, 2006 3:43 PM PDT

I just tried to download the latest version of Flash Player 9 for Internet Explorer. It just sits there doing nothing. Some thing is wrong with their website.

Works for Mozilla Firefox

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Check to see
by PudgyOne / August 24, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

Check to see if you have the Flash Player blocked in Internet Explorer. I had mine blocked and figured it out.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
question
by MRTIGRE1 / August 24, 2006 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Check to see

Rick;
Thank you for all your help!
Sorry, if I seem lost in some of these procedures that you suggest i Can figure them out for the most part but some I need a bit more clarification on them. everyone I deal with in this cnet forum is very patient and evidently likes what their doing. including yourself. I just retired in data processing after 38 years of where I primarily grew up on working on large mainframes that consumed 2 floors of office space and that had electric tubes and applications came to us on punch cards. the computers were cooled by glycerin pumped throughout the hardware within the cpu, memory and i/o controllers. So I am sorry if some of the terminology is unknownn to me and I may repeat the question more than once. I thank you for your patience in these issues, thank you!

anyway my question is:

What do you mean by checking to see if flash player is blocked in internet explorer? thanks Don

Collapse -
Try this
by PudgyOne / August 24, 2006 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: question

Try this.

Go to

http://www.hersheypa.com/

and tell me if you see the people on the coaster, in bed, anything moving above the word fun and packages. If you do, then if you right click on it, it will tell you about Adobe Flash Player 9. If you see this, you already have flash Player 9 installed. Special note, to be able to see these images, you have to allow scripting.

You have to be the administrator or have unrestricted rights on the computer. Using Mozilla Firefox go here to download the plugins,

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/plugins/

After you install the extention you have to close Mozilla Firefox and then reopen it to taske effect. In Mozilla Firefox, if you use the extention NoScript, tell it to allow adobe.com then everything should work

I use Spyware Blaster. It has a blocking feature that disables the Flash Player in Internet Explorer. I had to uncheck this to get the Flash Player to work. I have the latest version. I tend to stay away from Internet Explorer, it's too vulnerable to too many attacks from spyware. I use Mozilla Firefox for most of my needs.

Internet Explorer acts differently with the version of Windows you are using. I used to use Windows ME and it was a lot different when I started using Windows XP. It could be a setting also, let us know what version of Windows you are using.

Rick

Collapse -
Windows 98 SE
by PudgyOne / August 25, 2006 9:40 AM PDT

Windows 98 SE

Go to control panel

click on internet options

click on security

click on defaults

then click on custom

check to make sure this is on medium

click apply click ok and restart your computer.

Then go here

and download the flash player.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
tried it out
by MRTIGRE1 / September 1, 2006 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 98 SE

Rick;
I am sorry but all my settings already matched what you had asked me to set them to and that's what i have been running with up to now. Rick, Would it be worth it to reload a fresh copy of internet explorer v9.0?
thanks
Don

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bump
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / September 13, 2006 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: tried it out
Collapse -
question on the reply
by MRTIGRE1 / September 14, 2006 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Bump

Hello;
could you please be more definitive as to what your reply is? Thank you

Collapse -
I bumped this post up
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / September 14, 2006 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: question on the reply

so it would be on top, so those helping you can find see it again, then locked you new post on the same subject.

Collapse -
One last try from me
by PudgyOne / September 14, 2006 6:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
i too have the same problem with adobe and macromedia web's
by jooper / November 23, 2006 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: One last try from me

been unable to use either adobe or macromedia (same, I know) for a while now.

a little frustrating!

any other pc on our network is fine, just this particular one!

this is on xp sp2 blah blah, ie 6 (tried ie 7), also firefox on here - doesn't work there either.

result .... download on another pc and transfer files across the network.

I've ran all the usual spyware checks, we have current a/v ..... it's driving me mad!

why oh why?

jon Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?