Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hooray - I'm worm free...

Oops - that doesn't sound too good Happy I wanted to get the attention of the folks who assisted me in the removal of the nasties from my home computer. I already posted thanks to the good people in the Virus forum. The fix was pretty involved. The file soundcntrl.exe containing the AGOBOT.14.AX worm was activated at start up and, since it was running, AVG couldn't move it to the vault. I stopped the running process first and started my search. It had buried itself in a hidden folder. I tracked it down using explorer. To make sure it wasn't some necessary file I check it's properties and lo and behold it was created exactly when the worm struck. I deleted it and a companion program created at the same time and an AVG alert poped up saying a virus was found in the recycle bin Happy Not for long---I flushed the sucker. A reboot and a new scan reported clean. Thanks to all. If I was more computer saavy it probably wouldn't have taken a week. A side benefit was I located a hidden TEMp file in local settings that had been busy storing files since I got the computer. It had over 65,000 files in it. I now have lots more room on my hard drive. I was wondering why this folder is there and why it doesn't get cleaned out automatically when I run system clean up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooray - I'm worm free...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooray - I'm worm free...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Way to go, Patrick

In reply to: Hooray - I'm worm free...

I hope it's smooth sailing from here on out./

Collapse -
Re:Thats an A Ok. Glad to hear the good news Patrick. (nt)

Collapse -
Re: Hooray - I'm worm free...

Hi, Patrick.

Glad you got it worked out! And you're right -- the title doesn't sound too good! Wink

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Have you checked out an Internet Cleaner? ...

In reply to: Re: Hooray - I'm worm free...

You could do a Google search on this, or search these forums. Many are available and it is a matter of choice as to which one you think will suit you best. These being to clear out temp files, website history, download temp files et al.

These are not the same as registry cleaners, though can include some registry cleaning as options - and just make sure you know what you're doing when the registry is involved. Most have check-boxes so you can steer clear of any that you don't understand.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Internet Cleaner -- Huh? I suspect...

you must have meant to reply to another message, Mo -- your reply seems totally out of context.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re:Re: Internet Cleaner -- Huh? I suspect...

In reply to: Re: Internet Cleaner -- Huh? I suspect...

Collapse -
Re: Internet Cleaner -- Huh? I suspect...

In reply to: Re:Re: Internet Cleaner -- Huh? I suspect...

Hi, John.

I've downloaded it (and Donna's suggestion) but haven't had time to mess with them yet. Thanks for the suggestion, btw.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re: Internet Cleaner -- In context, but context not repeated in my reply, see below...

In reply to: Re: Internet Cleaner -- Huh? I suspect...

Dear Dave and Patrick: Patrick's final paragraph ran:

A side benefit was I located a hidden TEMp file in local settings that had been busy storing files since I got the computer. It had over 65,000 files in it. I now have lots more room on my hard drive. I was wondering why this folder is there and why it doesn't get cleaned out automatically when I run system clean up.
Posted by: Patrick Posted on: 05/07/2004 12:30 PM

An internet cleaner would keep the computer free of temp files, also free of cookies (usually selectively), downloaded software temp files, mru and reg streams, 0-KB files etc.

I'm a newbie as you know, but have learned the hard way that buying (there are free versions also) a bit of software to clean the computer out, is a better way than trying to clear out the crud (as Bob Proffit calls it) by myself (which for me ended in a windows reinstall).

If Patrick had 65,000 temp files, there is a fair old chance that he's got a few more redundant files lurking about in there also...

Hope this clarifies my post. It is sort of off-track re worms, but residual internet tracks are generally considered good worm-food.

I have purchased "cleaning" software, but the Help Forum Moderators can probably recommend a free version.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Right Mo, and
Collapse -
Thanks John - a proviso? ....

In reply to: Right Mo, and

Download the Recycle Bin to disk? Point being: it is impossible to run and test the myriad of software on one's machine to ensure that it is working within a "test period" timescale.

Best to have a back-up to reinstall files from, on the basis that if you reinstall the whole lot you won't be worse off than when you started, but could be very much worse off if the files are gone for good.

Methinks this for Patrick, but me not expert. What's your take?

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:Thanks John - a proviso? ....

In reply to: Thanks John - a proviso? ....

Well Mo, it's always nice to have a 'hole card' or 'Ace in the hole' for backup even tho I don't think most of those deletions would be a problem. Patrick, I believe has WinXP so would have the "System Restore". Not sure if it would restore everything as I use the commercial "Go Back" on my desktop computers which has never failed me in restoring to my satisfaction when ever I goof.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Thanks John - a proviso? ....

In reply to: Re:Thanks John - a proviso? ....

I'm running on WinME, which has the System Restore capability. Somehow I blew it with deletions I made, as I mentioned, hence now relying on software to do the job for me.

Do you have a reference for Go Back? Am I right in thinking that this adds an extra fail-safe level?

Thanks and regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Thanks John - a proviso? ....

In reply to: Re:Re:Thanks John - a proviso? ....

I purchased the GoBack 3 Deluxe program when it was with Roxio for my Win98se PC, before Semantic purchased it. When I obtained my WinXP computer with System Restore there was talk in the help forums that the commercial GoBack 3 was better in that it would restore some things that the installed System Restore in WinXP or WinME didn't do. I'll try to find those discussions. Anyway, here is some info:

http://www.symantec.com/goback/

http://www.symantec.com/goback/features.html

Collapse -
(NT) Dear John, Thanks for the links - off I go ... Regards, Mo

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Thanks John - a proviso? ....

Collapse -
Mo and John...

In reply to: Right Mo, and

Sorry - After all the effort to kill the worm, except to post a few jokes I was away from the computer for the weekend plus 1 day Happy Thanks, and Mo you were right on. I was asking about why those files appeared in that location and why they are not removed when running the cleaners in the Internet properties location or during System cleanup. I found them using Grifs suggestion of searching for .tmp files. I was really wondering how they get dumped here and why the normal cleaners bypass them.

Collapse -
Re:Mo and John... Speaking only for myself ...

In reply to: Mo and John...

I don't know! John or Microsoft might know. I kinda live by the workaround rule - that the files do arrive, and stay there, whether I like it or not, and I've gotta get rid of them sooner or later.

There is one heck of a market out there for software that "gets rid" - and, this being so, I guess the short answer to your question is that "Windows doesn't get rid".

Dear Patrick, How's that for a technical response? Wink

I do, however, much acknowledge John's good technical advice in this thread.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:Re:Mo and John... Speaking only for myself ...

In reply to: Re:Mo and John... Speaking only for myself ...

Aw Mo...blushing as I lean across the pond and plant a little kiss on her cheek, I don't consider myself as a Techie. I have learned greatly from people like Grif Thomas who is a Techie and finally agreed to become a Mod in Computer Help and the Newbies forum. Also learned through the years from the old regulars in those forums like Toni Hackler, Donna Hager, Roke, Bill Gaston, and even Dale Johnston.

Collapse -
Re:Hooray - I'm worm free...

Congratulations Patrick.

Noticed not mentioned here or in your post to the virus forum about the catching of the Sasser worm. Seems to be discussions there about Spybot programs there but:

For the info of others about this Sasser Worm

1. If the built in WinXp Internet Firewall is enabled the Sasser worm is most likely blocked. My WinXP computer came with the Firewall disabled when I purchased it over a year & half ago, and I enabled it within the 1st few days. I also run the free Zone Alarm firewall with it without any problems.

2.Checking for critical updates in the Windows Update between April 13 and April 30 would have no doubt result in download/installed KB 835732 which would protect against Sasser if installed before April 30.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.