TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Hooking up Tv. to Computer speakers

by scarface42783 / January 31, 2007 12:15 AM PST

I have an HD television, but I do not have a surround sound system. My speakers for my computer are pretty good (a sub, and a couple of mini speakers) and I was wondering if there is any way for me too hook my computer speakers up to my tv.

If I can, how can I use computer speakers for my computer only and the computer speakers for the tv only without un-connecting them each time?


Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooking up Tv. to Computer speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooking up Tv. to Computer speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They work perfectly. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 31, 2007 4:32 AM PST

I have a set of Bose PC speakers on my 37" LCD. But it's one or the other. TV or PC. You need to buy another set.

Collapse -
RE:they work perfectly
by scarface42783 / January 31, 2007 4:45 AM PST

Ok, well how would I hook up my computer speakers to my television then?

Collapse -
Match the jacks. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 31, 2007 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: RE:they work perfectly

What kind of jack is on the PC speakers (male)? Is there a matching jack (female) on the TV?

Collapse -
Not sure
by scarface42783 / January 31, 2007 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Match the jacks. . .

not really sure.

Collapse -
If you don't look. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 31, 2007 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure

I can't help you.

Collapse -
headset port
by Marzika / August 21, 2011 6:57 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:they work perfectly

you have to plug them into the headset port in the tv but it needs to have one in the first place.. If it doesnt you wont be able to use your pc speakers. Just look for the headset port.

Collapse -
headset port
by Citygirl24 / December 2, 2011 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: headset port

Thank you so much for suggesting this--I have been trying to hook my speakers up to any of the ports in my hdtv, and it would never work. I would have never even looked for the headset port as it is on the side of the tv under a plastic cover.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / January 31, 2007 5:20 AM PST

YOU'LL WANT A SECOND system unless you are willing connect and disconnect the speakers each time you change from TV to the computer.


Collapse -
'Sounds' good
by scarface42783 / January 31, 2007 5:30 AM PST

I was looking around today for a home theater system and I found something reasonable for about $80 and it comes with a dvd player. Although I don't watch many movies with my dvd player now, it would be nice if it came with the new blue ray technology.

Collapse -
You get what you pay for.
by brandoj82 / January 31, 2007 3:34 PM PST
In reply to: 'Sounds' good

I work in retail, and I'm just letting you know. If you spend $80 on a HTIB, you are wasting your money. If it last you more than a few months, then you are lucky.

Collapse -
by scarface42783 / January 31, 2007 10:31 PM PST

What about $120 on a name brand?

Collapse -
by masterying01 / February 1, 2007 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: $120

$80 and it would be nice if it came with blu-ray?

any home theater in a box less then $200 is a waste of money. you're better off buying a pair of computer speakers for $100.

and if you're asking for help to hook things up, the least you could do is provide the model number or brands of your tv and speakers. without that, its the equivalent of me going up to you and saying "i need something. give it to me (and then just stand there silently in a freaky way)."

Collapse -
by scarface42783 / February 1, 2007 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: wow

Wow, pretty serious.. Just asking a simple question.. And it is nothing like me going up to you and saying I need something.

I am not asking for an opinion on what I should buy or how much I should pay, I was asking for help. I don't need an opinion from you so don't waste your time. I got my answers from the another guy, who was very helpful.

Collapse -
Speakers for PC and TV
by mcleaver / January 16, 2012 2:50 PM PST

Many sets of computer speakers have two separate mini jack inputs. SO you can connect both TV and PC.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / February 1, 2007 6:06 AM PST

If you have a hi-def t.v. and are feeding it with a hi-def satellite or cable then the picture should be stunning?So spending $100 for speakers or computor speakers are not going to give anything better than the cheap speakers in your t.v. Stop Save your money then invest in a brand name $250 A/V amp. As far as speakers go spend tons of money. WHY a good 5.1 speaker system is an investment for a lifetime they will never have to be upgraded and they will thrill you until you crook. believe me I spent $2500 on a 5.1 Atlantic Technology 4200 system over a year ago and I still get goose bumps when I hear them. If you cant do it rite then save save steweee

Collapse -
How to connect 2.1 speakers to a TV RCA output
by skygreenleopard / October 3, 2008 9:19 AM PDT

I really don't think he wants advice on home theater buying. What I am interested in, and what he's interested in, is connecting a simple 2.1 computer speaker system with a 3.5mm jack into a TV with the normal red and white RCA outputs. Any help?

Collapse -
plasma tv and speakers
by nah2o1 / April 4, 2010 3:06 AM PDT

i'm going to purchase a plasma tv and thinking about Logitech Z 2300 for speakers ( hooked to the TV only ) will I have to buy anything besides the the speaker system , and I would like earphnes .

thanks for your time , keith

Collapse -
Connecting 2.1 pc speakers to a TV.
by micor1969 / May 19, 2011 1:28 PM PDT

To connect 2.1 speakers to a TV connect a stereo to your TV then plug the 2.1 speakers mini plug into the headphone jack. It works for me.

Collapse -
power source.
by carrollstraus / May 1, 2013 11:41 AM PDT

External speakers need a power source. Some have batteries--some can draw power from the device they are plugged into. My HDTV with satellite box will not power speakers--I have to buy powered speakers or a receiver that has that kind of power.

Collapse -
What you need.
by Inkrypted1 / March 8, 2009 10:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
computer speakers to tv
by 313 trainman / March 9, 2009 11:27 PM PDT

how about through the cable box mine has a lot of options

Collapse -
No Big Deal - Audiophiles May Cringe
by wldrns1 / March 11, 2009 7:49 AM PDT

If you have a CABLE BOX and if so equipped, plug your PC speakers in the RCA type Audio Out jacks. See Radio Shack for adapters if needed. I'm using this setup. Works fine for my current needs. Note if you go from a HDTV SET Audio Out, you may not be able to control the VOLUME as the Aud Out from TV may be fixed. My cable box has a setting for Audio called VARIABLE which is used for volume control via the Cable Box. (For the limited DVD watching I do, I use the TV speakers..good enough for now & don't have to switch cables). My actual setup goes from Cable Box to an old mechanical slide EQ then from EQ to PC speakers. For what it's worth people comment how 'good the TV sounds'. The PC speakers add a bit of fidelity but it's the subtle punch from the sub I'm sure there 'hearing'.

Collapse -
Its possible, with the right cable, don't buy retail:
by coldfusion1787 / January 20, 2011 11:27 AM PST

I realize how old this post is, but I want to confirm that it is possible to use PC speakers on a television. To audiophiles: anything is better than using the sound bar that comes with a TV, even computer speakers. My current inexpensive setup is that I'm running my desktop on a Sony kdl32l4000 HDTV with a VGA cable, and computer speakers hooked up to the computer. Cable box and Wii still operating on the same speakers using its appropriate connections (wii=component, cable box=HDMI).

The key to all this: An auxillary port on the speaker control I have, a headphone to composite cable for audio (aka headphone to red and white), and a fixed audio out on the TV. Basically, the headphone end goes into auxillary port, the red and white goes into the fixed audio out. The rest you hook up like you normally would. Set the volume on the TV speakers all the way to 0, or just turn the speakers off in settings. Heres the thing though: volume control will be all software if you want to use the remote (my speakers have a volume knob on full). You will use the cable box's volume feature to control the volume, DVD players or Blu-Ray players you will use its volume feature, computer has its own, etc. My only problem is with the wii, where there is no way to adjust the volume without walking up to the knob. But whatever, not too much of an inconvenience there.

Collapse -
by mcwa / October 18, 2011 11:39 AM PDT

I believe you can do this with an A/B splitter. I would advise going to the local electronics store and inquiring there.
Best Regards from the ac repair delray beach guy!

Collapse -
by Johnnie323 / November 5, 2011 4:13 AM PDT

You need a mini jack splitter (1 male/ two female inputs) Plug the mini jack into your base speaker. Then get two male to male mini jack cables. (length up to you). Connect one cable from base speaker into back of the Tv headphone input. Connect the other cable from the base speaker into your computer. You will be able to use speakers for TV and conputer without having to touch cables again.

That's it.

Collapse -
how do I hook up computer speakers to hd tv
by kcmfarrelly / January 1, 2013 11:50 PM PST

how do I hook up my computer speakers to my hd tv

Popular Forums
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
Laptops 20,411 discussions
Security 30,882 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
Phones 16,494 discussions
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions


The most beautiful phone ever has one wildly annoying issue

The Samsung Galaxy S8's fast speeds and fantastic curved screen make it a top phone for 2017, but the annoying fingerprint reader could sour your experience.