Question

Hooking up TV, DVR, Blu Ray, and Wii

I am driving myself crazy trying to hook up all my electronics properly! Can someone help?? I DO NOT have any cable service. I was just using a regular tube tv before with a digital convertor box...

I have the following electronics:

***Panasonic - 50" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV
Model: TC-P50S30
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+50%22+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/2120201.p?id=1218310004114&skuId=2120201&st=50%20plasma%20panasonic&cp=1&lp=1

***Insignia? - Blu-ray Player

Model: NS-BRDVD4
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+Blu-ray+Player/9892418.p?id=1218195518589&skuId=9892418&st=insignia%20blu%20ray&cp=1&lp=1

***Wii

***Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 320GB DVR and DVD Recorder Model#: MDR513H/F7 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR-513H-F7-320GB-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder/14291489

I only have one HDMI cord right now, but will be picking two more up tonight so that all can be connected with HDMI cables.

I tried to set up just the DVR last night but couldn't get it to record any live TV. The guy at Best Buy was saying I will still need my digital conv. box??!! I thought I wouldn't need that with a new TV? I can get the TV channels to come in when with just the antenna, but not then through the DVR.

To complicate things more, I haven't even tried to set up any of the audio stuff. I have a really old Panasonic receiver that I am considering upgrading, but I have to wait on that. I would really love to have that all in the loop of my hook-ups too, but I figured I could figure that out after...

I have never used HDMI cables before, so if anyone can help and be as specific as possible on what cords to plug in where would be helpful.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hooking up TV, DVR, Blu Ray, and Wii
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hooking up TV, DVR, Blu Ray, and Wii
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
From what I can see,

there is no need for a converter box. Have you try hooking up the dvr and tv like you did before? and does it work ok? As for the all the output connection on all devices (dvr, BDplayer), I would suggest using hdmi cable to the TV.

In the event the antenna connection doesn't work like the old tv/vcr method, then you might need a antenna signal splitter like this: Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/22677-2-Way-5MHz-2-3GHz-Digital-Splitter/product-reviews/B00149DSYG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

- Collapse -
thanks

Thanks. My dad happened to have one, so I am going home to try this very soon!! I am sure it will work, but I will let you know for sure.

- Collapse -
Thanks!

Thanks! Going home right now and trying it. I am sure it will work, but will let you know for sure.

- Collapse -
Answer
Hooking up TV, DVR, Blu Ray, and Wii

From the DVD recorder specs listed at Amazon (the Magnavox web sites don't exist anymore) the unit is dual tuner (analog and digital). Since I couldn't find a user manual,I don't know if the unit requires selecting analog or digital tuner in the setup. Also, I guess the antenna connection goes to the DVD recorder and then on to the TV?

- Collapse -

I looked through all the settings on the DVR and no switch between analog and digital and nothing on the outside of the DVR. Right now I have the antenna connected to the DVR and then to the TV, but I am going to try it with the splitter like ahtoi mentioned.

CNET Forums