Question

Hooking up Samsung 8500 with Yamaha receiver

Hi, wondering of someone could shed some light on the best way to connect my new Samsung 8500 with the HDMI port to a Yamaha receiver. Right now I have an HDMI going from the HDMI port that came with the TV to my receiver. Then from the receiver I have an HDMI going to the Dish cable box and then another HDMI going from the receiver to my apple TV. It works but I am also being told that might not be the best way. Many thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hooking up Samsung 8500 with Yamaha receiver
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hooking up Samsung 8500 with Yamaha receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sounds correct.

In short I connect all sources to the Receiver inputs. Then the output to the HDTV.

I use an optical return link from HDTV to the receiver most of the time since ARC seems to be hit or miss.

Now there are a lot of setup menus at times and I really like the Logitech Harmony Hub to reduce the remote proliferation.

- Collapse -
One more question

Thank you. Follow-up question: The only issue is that the audio from anything playing in the Smart Hub (YouTube, Netflix) doesn't play audio. How can I fix that?

- Collapse -
Add the digital optical cable that Bob suggested

Basically, your system could be hooked up as follows to make it all work:

Dish receiver (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Yamaha receiver

Apple TV (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Yamaha receiver

Yamaha receiver (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) HDTV

Also, for audio out from the HDTV (in your case, 'smart hub'), add the following as well:

HDTV (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) Yamaha receiver

You will likely have to adjust a 'external audio' setting on the HDTV for this to work. Look in the manual online Wink

cheers

- Collapse -
(NT) This is very helpful, thank you.
- Collapse -
Answer
Use TV to select the source

I've had more problems with the AV unit being used as the switch for the TV source. Mixing manufacturers sometimes results in the handshaking protocol for each unit is not being handled correctly. I use the AV unit for sound only, it's source being the optical cable from the TV, that even solves any lipsync faults too. The TV selects the source, PC, satellite, video game and the last one for the monitor output from the AV unit. Other sources can be mixed with component cabling. Many newer units boast the "4K Pass-thru" and should handle all protocols.

- Collapse -
What about using a soundbar?

That makes perfect sense. On my other TV, I have two HDMIs (cable box and blueray) into the TV with an optical running from the TV to my soundbar. However, one thing I noticed since I switched over to an optical to run the sound is that the soundbar does not turn on and off when I turn the TV on and off (it did when I used the HDMI). Not a major problem, but it still requires having a separate remote. Is there anyway to solve this issue? Many thanks.

CNET Forums