Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

HOOKING UP MY PRINTER

by maengun / August 13, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

HELP.....NEVER HOOKED UP A PRINTER,AND I'M SO LOST!!MY COMPUTER IS A HP-PAVILION, RUNNING WINDOWS ME,THE PRINTER I'M CONCIDERING HOOKING UP IS A COMPAQ lJ1200.HERE IS MY PROBLEM...I HAVE THE POWER SOURCE AND THE CABLE FROM PRINTER TO COMPUTER...I NOTICED THAT THERE IS A TERMAL FOR A USB CONNECTION..IS THIS ALSO REQUIRED FOR USE??I DON'T HAVE THE OWNERS BOOK SO I DON'T KNOW JUST WHAT TO DO I'VE ALSO FILLED THE INK CARTRIDGES, SO I THINK I'M WELL ON MY WAY TO COMPLETING MY TASK..I'M JUST A LITTLE UNSURE AS WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE USB CABLE.WHEN IT COMES TO THE COMPUTERS I'M ''SOS''(STUCK ON STUPID....LOL THANK-YOU FOR YOUR TIME...HAVE A GREAT DAY!! ELAINE

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
First, please get rid of All Caps in future posts,
by Ray Harinec / August 13, 2005 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: HOOKING UP MY PRINTER

that is considered to be shouting/rude in internet etiquette. You are forgiven for not being aware of this. LOL

It is not quite clear whether you have a printer that can use both [either] the parallel port or the USB port.

If it takes either, use the parallel port, then store the USB cable somewhere. When you install the drivers from the CD that came with the printer it will ask you which type interface [LP1 or USB] that you want to use. [LP1 means Line Printer, 1 is in the event one has more than one LP port].

If your printer is ONLY USB, then read the instructions closely. Normally for USB printers you install the drivers FIRST without the printer plugged into the USB port. It's the old "When all else fails Read the Instructions".

Collapse -
So very sorry
by maengun / August 14, 2005 2:47 PM PDT

I didn't realize i wrote in caps, i know it is not to be done!!! i forget to change back after writing letters to my freinds.. we use caps in our letters to each other.. thank-you for forgiveness..lol

Collapse -
Welcome To The "Help Place"
by dcmorris / August 13, 2005 10:30 AM PDT

I note you have just joined this forum. Welcome and I hope we can help.
If I understand your post correctly you have no written guidlines nor a schematic to help you hook up your printer. Can you obtain such documentation from the vendor? Is this a new printer?
Did you recieve an installation disk? If so they usually have a schematic to help you. Insert that disk and follow the prompts. At some point there will be help available.
You said there is a terminal for a USB cable. Is this terminal to which you refer on the computer? Normaly the printer cable will have a male USB connector on one end and this connects to the female USB connector on the PC. The type of connector that plugs into the printer varies from printer to printer.
This about all I can contribute until I have more info.
If you still have questions fire away and we will do all we can to help.
If, on the other hand, you are successful, please let us know.

DC

Collapse -
Most printers
by glb613 / August 13, 2005 10:39 AM PDT

don't come with a cable. That is a separate purchase. Most new printers connect through the USB port. If you don't have a cable, you will need to buy one to hook up your printer.

If you don't have instructions, either insert the CD and follow the on screen prompts or go to the web site and download a user manual.

Collapse -
Sorry I Failed To Mention That
by dcmorris / August 14, 2005 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Most printers

I had forgotten the printer cable did not come with the printer. I should have remembered as it annoyed me in that I had to purchase a cable after purchasing the printer. I shouldn't complain. I guess printer prices are down to the point where there is little profit. ( The profit is selling the ink cartridges.)
I hope maengun is following this thread. I hope he lets us know if he got hooked up OK.

DC

Collapse -
thank-you for comments
by maengun / August 14, 2005 2:56 PM PDT

i bought my printer used,and as you say no connecting cables came with it.but i bought ac adapter,and the lg connector to go between the printer and computer,i hooked both of them up but still can't print ..so wanted to know if the USB cable was still needed.. oh yes i'm not a he...i'm a she...lol

Collapse -
Printer Cable
by Stan Chambers / August 14, 2005 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: thank-you for comments

If you have a parallel cable, you won't need the usb cable. Many of the printers built during the transition period from parallel to usb, have both connectors.
What you didn't mention is whether you have the software for the printer. Did you get a cd with the printer with the driver software on it?
You have to install the driver for the printer before it will work.
I found it here: http://www.driverguide.com/
You'll have to sign up at their site, create a user name and password, no cost to you.
After you jump through all the hoops, do a search for the ij1200 compaq driver.
This may be of some help. When you get to the page where the drivers are listed, I found seven. Choose the one for Windows ME. It was the second driver on my list. At the far right of the page, click on External Site. Then jump through a few more hoops and finally you'll get to download the driver.
After downloading, you double click on the file and it should install.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
thank-you all !!
by maengun / August 22, 2005 5:07 AM PDT

thanks for all the comments on my question. i have remedied the problem..tech stopped by and set up my computer.. very nice of all who tryed to help in this!!!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!