TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Hooking up multiple devices

by Wage76 / March 10, 2008 4:05 PM PDT

Hello all, I recently bought a new TV and was hoping for a liitle advice on hooking up my components.

The TV is a Samsung HL-T61876

My DVD player us an RCA DRC8052N , wich has an HDMI slot, a coax out for audio, and a component slot.

My HD Cable box/DVR is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD , which has an HDMI slot, coax and optical audio out, and component hookup.

My reciever is an RCA RT2760, wich has no HDMI slot, just an optical and a coax slot for digital sound.

I also have an XBox 360, wich connects through components, and an optical audio.

I really do not fuuly grasp HDMI, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking this will be my set-up:

I will connect the cable/dvr box to the TV through HDMI
I will connect the DVD player to the TV through another HDMI
I will connect the Xbox 360 to the TV via component cables.

Here is where I get especially lost. 3 devices and only 2 slots on the reciever.Does this mean I will need some sort of splitter, or am I not fully grasping the benefit the HDMI ports can give me?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooking up multiple devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooking up multiple devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't seen anything missing.
by ahtoi / March 11, 2008 11:49 AM PDT

2 hdmi and 1 component equals 3 devices. You could use a hdmi splitter/switcher but personally I think they are over-price.

Collapse -
You could also try...
by Dan Filice / March 11, 2008 3:47 PM PDT

To simply hook your HD cable box to your TV with component and free up an HDMI slot on the TV. The quality of HD broadcast is not like the pristine HD you get from DVD. It's good, but component broadcst HD is, after all, a broadcast signal. Anyways, component also gives a stunning HD picture for broadcast channels and I personally thing HDMI for a cable box is overkill. I didn't see much difference between HDMI and component on my Scientific Atlantic HD box. But, that's just my eyeballs. Some people will swear they see a difference just because it's HDMI and it "must" look better. Again, using HDMI for the HD DVD player is a different story. You need the best possible signal path as you are transmitting 1080p.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!