Desktops forum

General discussion

hooking up desktop to hdtv to watch netflix. need help!

by naylbender / December 9, 2009 9:06 AM PST

I have a Dell 8300 desktop in my office and I want to hook up the computer to the tv in my bedroom to watch netflix instant play movies.
I hooked up an s-video cable and have the picture but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the audio to work. What kind of cable do I need and where do I hook it up on the cpu? I'm not a real savy computer guy so be patient

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hooking up desktop to hdtv to watch netflix. need help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hooking up desktop to hdtv to watch netflix. need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What kind of audio output . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 9, 2009 9:49 AM PST

is on the computer (speakers?) and input on the TV? Match the cord.

Collapse -
Most Computers and Cables
by Zeuxidamas / December 16, 2009 8:17 AM PST

I am not sure what kind of TV you have or what kind of connections are available on the backplane, but...most PC's have a 3.5mm connector at the Audio Out or headphone port. I am assuming that your TV has a 2-port RCA connection for audio input (one red, one yellow in a pair). You should be able to buy a 3.55mm-to-RCA cable that will allow you to plug into your PC on one end and the TV on the other (PC gets the 3.5mm connector into the headphone port, RCA's go to the TV's audio input channel. Hope this helps.
- Vr/Z..>>

Collapse -
by Zeuxidamas / December 16, 2009 11:08 AM PST

That should be "3.5mm" connectors; not 3.55.

Collapse -
audio cable
by naylbender / December 17, 2009 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Correction

thanks so much for the input. that should take care of it

Popular Forums
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
Laptops 20,411 discussions
Security 30,882 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
Phones 16,494 discussions
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions


The most beautiful phone ever has one wildly annoying issue

The Samsung Galaxy S8's fast speeds and fantastic curved screen make it a top phone for 2017, but the annoying fingerprint reader could sour your experience.