TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Hooking speakers to Television with headphone javk

by dezerbois / August 18, 2012 11:38 AM PDT

I have been looking online for a while trying to figure this out.

Just bought some standing speakers from a g sale and not sure how to get them hooked to the television. It's a Sony oflatscreen with no audio outs but has an earphone jack.

The speakers themselves are 2 fronts and 2 backs which each have speaker wire +/- to one RCA input. So 4 inputs all together.

Do I need a receiver to plug them into and then an auxiliary cord from the receiver to tv? Or will this produce bad sound. And if I so decide to by a small subwoofer with RCA inputs in the back and hook that to the tv will the sound be sufficient.

Not sure if an amp is needed or what but assume whatever I plug the speakers into will need seperatr power to run them.

Can anyone please give me a rundown of the best setup? If there is one

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooking speakers to Television with headphone javk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooking speakers to Television with headphone javk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Couple things do not fit here;
by ahtoi / August 19, 2012 1:45 AM PDT

Earphone output generally do not connects to speaker directly (impedance mis-match and low power output) and no surround output. Hope you got a great deal and use the speaker in the future. I am pretty sure there are solutions around this problem but is it worth the effort and cost?

Collapse -
Speakers/TV
by pgc3 / August 19, 2012 2:22 AM PDT

Oh yeah I am with you! It'd be nice to know what hook ups are available on the TV but the headphone jack is a no no. If it is a newer TV you'd think there would be other hook ups such as RCA or SPDIF.

Collapse -
Answer
Headphones and speakers
by mjd420nova / August 19, 2012 3:26 AM PDT

The headphone and most speaker impedances are the same, 8 ohms but the levels needed by the speakers is far above what a headphone jack could provide. I have done many modifications to the newer flatscreens to put jacks tied to the speakers to allow hookup of external speakers. Headphone jacks would provide adequate output to hook to the input of an external amplifier to feed larger speakers. My unit, a Vizio 47 inch only had an optical (SPDIF) audio output that I was able to use a converter to get an analog output for the surround sound decoder and feed the larger surround system. Once the warranty ran out, I opened the case and mounted jacks to parallel the speakers but this is a rather limited output level and can't provide near enough volume to be an exact replacement.

Collapse -
Answer
Mpre info please :)
by dezerbois / August 19, 2012 5:25 AM PDT

So a receiver would not suffice? Considering the sound from the tv would just go to a receiver which would output it to the speakers how would this not work? Mite ch have to switch to my newer LG tv but again no audio outs. I don't even think it has a headphone jack

Collapse -
Before we go farther...
by ahtoi / August 19, 2012 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Mpre info please :)

Why not list the model of the Sony and LG tv? A receiver would certainly go a long way.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!