General discussion

Hooked up New Charter Modem-Problem Ever Since Then

I got a letter from Charter a few weeks ago asking me to come in and replace my modem for free with a new modem that was capable of higher speeds. So I did so. The speeds were faster. But the connection is down about every other day.

I went back today to get another modem (Scientific Atlanta). When I called the tech to set it up, he says they can tell I have it, but they can't "provision the MAC ID Address". So I hang up, and within minutes, I'm connected. But he "warned me", that I might be able to get on, but if they can't "provision it", I could loose the connection at any time.

What's going on here, are cable companies passing out useless free modems? Is this a scenario of "you get what you pay for". I feel like I should just go buy one at Best Buy and move on. The guy at Charter was very nice about it, he sounded like he was just as preplexed as me.

Any advice anyone?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hooked up New Charter Modem-Problem Ever Since Then
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hooked up New Charter Modem-Problem Ever Since Then
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info