HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hooah

by JP Bill / January 29, 2006 7:57 PM PST
All hooah, all the time

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) ? In the U.S. Army, which has so many acronyms, expressions and opaque phrases that it seems to deserve its own language, there is one word that is quite possibly uttered more than any other.

That word is ?hooah.? Pronounced HOO-ah. Alternatively spelled hua and huah.

Attend a company command meeting and you?ll hear hooah uttered as often as a 15-year-old says ?like? or ?you know.? Head to the post exchange and buy a Hooah Energy Bar or Hoo-Ahhs wet wipes or HOOAH2O water.

It?s not just in Iraq. At U.S. bases around the world, hooah seems an inseparable element of Army life.

Just don?t try to define it. And definitely don?t try to figure out where it comes from.

That's what I was wondering.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooah
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooah
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Al Pacino "scent of a woman"
by jonah jones / January 29, 2006 8:07 PM PST
In reply to: Hooah
Collapse -
It can mean...
by bulldogzerofive / January 29, 2006 8:14 PM PST

...Yes, or no, depending on how you say it.

It can mean that something is really cool in a military sense of the word ("That new assault rifle is pretty Hooah") or that a person is a hard-charger (Did you see the how fast s/he ran that hill? S/he's Hooah!).

I think that about covers it.

Where it came from? We got it from the marines.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I thought Hooah came from The Navy Seals.
by Rolway / January 29, 2006 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: It can mean...
Collapse -
The Marines pronounce it as "OohRah"
by Rolway / January 29, 2006 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: It can mean...

So, where did the term originate? The simple answer is that nobody knows.

Second Dragoons in Florida??
Another theory is that during the Vietnam War many American soldiers used Vietnamese and Vietnamese-French expressions interchangeably with English.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/jointservices/a/hooah.htm

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I heard it originated in the korean war, but i've no idea.
by bulldogzerofive / January 30, 2006 4:53 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm wondering if it's related to Jim Cramer's "Booyah!"
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 29, 2006 9:48 PM PST
Collapse -
heres what i found
by Mark5019 / January 29, 2006 11:44 PM PST
Collapse -
18th century
by grimgraphix / January 30, 2006 12:48 AM PST

I did 18th century Rev war reenacting... started in 1975 with the BAR or Brigade of the American Revolution... A pretty snobbish group (which was good) who were sticklers for detail and asked for 99 % authenticity including inspections of your kit that could wash you out of the event if you were to "FARB" or "Far beyond" the times as in a walking anachronism. Allowed modern under shorts, thank goodness but they even got picky about eye wear and don't get caught with tube socks showing!

We drilled using authentic military manuals, etc.

The common military cheer we were taught was...

Ha-Zaaa as in Hip Hip HaZaaa !

Used by both the British and Colonial American forces at the time. Since HooRah and HooAh aren't that far off I suspect the pronunciation has just been changed to make a particular service stand out from the others but the meaning is still pretty much the same as in "Good Job !!!" or "Good Job???"

What do ya think?

grim

Collapse -
I think you are close but slightly off the mark...
by Edward ODaniel / January 30, 2006 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: 18th century

but likely not your fault but the fault of whoever taught you.

In actuality it was huzza (or huzzah) and from it we derived the (common to civilians) hurrah and hoo-ray, and common to the German Military (from whom we derived our Drill and Ceremonies by virtue of Baron Von Steuben) Hussa which evolved quite naturally to the Anglicized huzza, which had further evolved since Korea to modern usage of Hoo-ah or hooah or huah or Ooh-Rah of the Marines.

That is why it is used in the same situations that, like you suggested, would elicit a cheer.

Shows up a lot in various writings by various authors contemporary to the time.

I wish you could have been there to see it all, hear it all, and feel it: and get yourself blown away with the hurricane huzza that swept the place as a finish.
"A Horse's Tale" by Mark Twain

Suddenly, with a loud huzza, a little cloud of pirates leaped from the woods on the north side and ran straight on the stockade.
"Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson

Like a cry and an huzza will I traverse wide seas, till I find the Happy Isles where my friends sojourn; And mine enemies amongst them! How I now love every one unto whom I may but speak! Even mine enemies pertain to my bliss.
"Thus Spake Zarathustra: A Book for All and None" by Friedrich Nietzsche

Just a little more of the useful "useless" knowledge part and parcel to my time as Branch Chief and Chief Instructor Ft Knox NCOA 19D BNCOC for equipping NCOs with information regarding the importance, place and origins of Drill and Ceremony and Military Tradition.

Collapse -
That sounds most logical, But...
by Rolway / January 30, 2006 2:29 AM PST

Nobody knows for sure. Yeah, most everybody has an opinion, but there is no single theory that has been shown to be fact.

Collapse -
Von Steuben
by grimgraphix / January 30, 2006 6:05 AM PST

Can't begin to tell you how many hours I spent drilling with a 13 pound Brown Bess or the slightly more chic Charleville musket. I can see the spine of his drill manual up on the book shelf with its mud stains and black powder residue. I still have a Jaeger rifle but got rid of the smooth bores.

grim

Collapse -
On the Brown Bess, grim...
by J. Vega / January 30, 2006 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: Von Steuben

Grim, why is yours so heavy?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I like rubenesque women J...
by grimgraphix / January 31, 2006 3:47 PM PST
Collapse -
Must be, grim...
by J. Vega / February 1, 2006 1:19 PM PST

Most Brown Bess muskets run under 10lbs. Must be that yours digests too many chocolate bullets (grin).

Collapse -
Hmm......
by John Robie / January 30, 2006 1:36 AM PST

During the Korean War I recall 'hooch' and 'moose' were common slang words....nawww..there should be no connection there.;-)

Collapse -
Watching "Mail Call" on the
by John Robie / January 31, 2006 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm......

Discovery Channel last night, ole 'Gunny' said 'Hoo-Ah' three times in a expressive manner like someone would say "Yes" or "Right On", and pulling his arm/fist down like a 18-wheeler or train engineer would pull down on the 'horn' cord.

Mail Call is a program featuring a middle aged ex-Marine (Corporal-given honorary promotion to 'Gunny' Sergeant since the program started) who explains and features military materials, weapons, combat units, and is invited to participate in many features of the different military services. Like last night, he flew in the co-pilot seat of a USAF Stealth Bomber, describing how it is, and received a patch indicating he is the 341 person to fly in one of our Stealth Bombers.

Gunny's trade mark is getting 'in your face' on the TV screen and yelling when it is commercial time, "Don't touch that dial MAGGOT". Wink

Collapse -
I first heard that in a movie
by Dragon / February 1, 2006 5:43 AM PST

Starring a blind man who had once been in the service. He was visited by a youger guy, and had a number of adventures following that, including a wild drive in an expensive sports car in which the blind man was driving...

His version was "HOO-yah", I think. I dont remember now what branch he was in.

Collapse -
Ah yes, the Oscar winning "Scent of a Woman"
by Dragon / February 1, 2006 7:01 AM PST

My wife, who is a genius when it comes to actors, actresses just returned my email letting me know what the movie was.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.