General discussion

Honestly do not know.

Starting up my pc (xp home) I get ready to start, click on an icon, it freezes, sometimes I just get to the password and it will freeze. The only way to use computer is to start in safe mode and then restore to a previous time, and then it works fine.Have cleaned registry, run scans, but to no avail. Also makes it hard to get an update because I have to restart pc and it just goes back to not doing anything. Have tried another section of the forum and nothing suggested worked, (clean pc, scans etc), so trying here(if that is allowed), for any new ideas. Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Honestly do not know.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Honestly do not know.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just for yuks.

Msconfig>startup.........untick everything.

Reboot.....normal mode.

If it works it's a startup item.

If it does not work it's not a startup item.

- Collapse -
just for yuks

No, not a start up problem. Thanks anyway.

- Collapse -
Have you tried a ...

System Restore to a time PRIOR to the problem?

I also note that you mention "Have cleaned registry" and should be made aware that the registry does not really need "cleaning" (other than manual edits to remove things like malware keys that are known ahead of the manual cleanup) and most of the so called rehgistry cleaners induce more problems than they cure.

Your problem could also be caused by a corrupt user profile. Create a new user profile and see how the computer "acts" when you log onto the new user account.

- Collapse -
yuks

No need to try. Strange thing happened. Removed AVG free edition 2011 from computer and it seems to be back to normal at the moment.

- Collapse -
This is not a strange thing happening at all.

Since you did not give us your PC specs, I have to say that your PC, has ran out of RAM and, quite possibly, not enough processing power to do so. Simply freezes on its last displayed instructions to send to the monitor.

You ran into a brick wall of upgradeability for your latest internet security software.

This is a very old, even ancient problem, dating back: 15+ years ago. The machine becomes too obsolete to run the simplest of programs. That truly sucks but, is the reality of constant progress of both PC tech. and its ever evolving software.

Rather install newer and bigger cards of RAM or, simply revert to the previous version of AVG free edition.

Good Luck.

- Collapse -
(NT) This is an opinion based on nothing in the story.
- Collapse -
How do you

How do you get from what was posted in this thread to what you just posted?

- Collapse -
Very simple. Using key words from first post and third post.

Click icon onto desktop = freezes.

Restart PC and just goes back to not doing anything = freezes again.

Strange thing happened. Removed AVG free edition 2011(newest release) and, then the poster's PC goes back to normal at the moment(probably written this post using that very PC that is, now, working normally).

Poster did not reply ever since. Conclusion : Poster understood my post and took immediate action via my suggestion.
Wink

CNET Forums

Forum Info