Linux forum

General discussion

Homework files?

by guns90 / September 7, 2006 12:34 PM PDT

I have twins entering high school. My computer is dated to say the least. What are the most popular forms of data storage; CD, DVD, floppy, zip drive, flash drive. etc. used by public schools these days?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Homework files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Homework files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Flash drive
by 3rdalbum / September 8, 2006 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Homework files?

Flash drives are your safest bet for data transfer, and even public school computers should have USB ports.

CD-Rs are also okay for occasional use, but their "write-once" nature makes them a bit wasteful for documents that are likely to change, as a new CD must be burnt each time. If you decided to use CD-RWs, you might find that some discs work in some computers but not in others.

The only thing you should be aware of when using Flash drives on Linux is that if you copy over a large file to the drive, then try to unmount it, it may take a while to unmount. This is because the file is still copying in the background! Don't worry, this is a feature of Linux, and your drive will unmount when copying really finishes.

Collapse -
OK, here's my take
by linkit / September 8, 2006 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Homework files?

I don't know what's ''the most popular'' these days in public schools, but I can tell you about university.

It really depends on the class. Just get a computer with a DVD burner and you will be OK. Note that DVD burners can make both DVD's and CD's. The USB ports take care of the rest. If needed, you can attach flash, floppy, and Zip drives to USB ports. Also, if you need to get video into your computer, make sure it has a Firewire port.

USB flash drives and mini hard drives (and iPods) have essentially supplanted all other removable media for a quick save of files. Some classes give a cheapo USB flash drive to every student at the beginning of the year/semester.

More permanent/long term storage means you burn to a CD or DVD. (Backups.)

Floppies drives have essentially disappeared in today's portables/notebooks, and many desktops don't ship with them. Floppy disks are physically too big and hold too little. You will, however, find the occasional class that uses 3.5'' floppies. You can add an inexpensive internal floppy drive or a USB floppy drive to a computer if the need arises.

Zip drives = dead tech, except for those companies/departments that need them because they still have files/archives on Zip disks. Again, add this drive later and only if needed.

Some classes use no removable media. Homework assignments are downloaded from webpages or ftp servers. Homework results are sometimes submitted to an instructor via email, but the more common practice is to submit a hard copy along with an electronic copy (typical for computer programming classes).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?