TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HomeTheater in a box with IN-WALL speakers...recommendations

by SkilledRDS / April 9, 2006 12:20 PM PDT

I am looking for a surround sound system for my 18 x 20' room.I really think in-wall speakers would look better.Can someone please recommend a system for me? I would like to spend under $400-$500 on DVD player,4 IN-WALL speakers,center channel,receiver and subwoofer.I have a new 50" Panasonic plasma tv.
I shop on EBay often.
I appreciate any suggestions.HTIBS would probably be easier for me to install.
I appreciate the replies.I was eyeing Concept-6 speakers earlier but have not bought anything for sound yet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HomeTheater in a box with IN-WALL speakers...recommendations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HomeTheater in a box with IN-WALL speakers...recommendations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recommendations
by HTHMAN / April 9, 2006 1:13 PM PDT

I think you budget is a little to tight.

That is a pretty good sized room and most HTIBs do not put out near as much power as their wattage would suggest. Also, they come with speakers that you will not use if you want in the wall speakers. A HTIB is no easier to set up than individual components, it just saves you some shopping time.

I am not a fan of in wall speakers. I have never heard a really good sounding setup. You will not be able to move them if you move or change furniture. It will be pure luck if you get the proper speaker placement for good imaging. As big as your room is, you should have room for speakers. A subwofer can be placed just about anywhere.

You could buy a relatively inexpensive receiver and DVD player, but spend the majority of your money on your speakers. Remember, it is only the speakers that you hear. You have an impressive TV, you should have an impressive sound system too.

Search the RoadRunner6 posts on speakers in this forum. He always has some great recommendations in all price ranges. Bose is not one of them.

Collapse -
cant get inwall's on that budget
by gabereyes / April 9, 2006 1:54 PM PDT

I would look at Onkyo or Yamaha HTIB's they are not in wall speaker but they are small and wall mountable, and In your budget for all the thing you want but the speakers.

Collapse -
rough price

in wall speakers to fill up that size of a room for surround sound and STILL get good sound will be $250+ a pair. they have some in wall centers...but again it'll be around $175+. receiver (best for your setup) will be $300+. dvd player (most likely you'll want an upconvert one) will be $100+. so $500+$175+$300+100. thats around $1000+ just to geta DECENT, and no where near good sound. i'm sure there are people that will agree with me here, for a little more then $1000, you can get a GOOD sounding system.

Collapse -
increased budget... any decent $1,100 HTIBS w/ IN-WALLS ?
by SkilledRDS / April 10, 2006 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: rough price

Thank you for the replies. I won't be able to get much for $600 I realize. I can get items at wholesale but would prefer HTIBS to make things simpler to buy(one purchase).I had a quote on Four Concept-6 IN-WALL speakers for $109.60($54.80/per pair);TEAC receiver was $175 (AGD8900S);round ceiling speaker center channel for $35;subwoofer for $150..thats approx. $475 before the DVD player.I can spring the extra $$$ to get a decent system but I do not know product very well. I searched RoadRunner6 posts on this forum and did not find much.My IN-WALLS will be fixed I realize.
Any suggestions for decent HTIBS out there for $1,100 or so with IN-WALL speakers would be appreciated.
I have a plan to put all equipment in a closet on shelves and run wires behind the wall to hide the equipment.
Thank you again...

Collapse -
$500 are you kidding

yOU CAN GET BUY WITH A $250 amp and mabey a $150 d.v.d. player BUT for good sound quality and a room that large figure speanding at least $1000 on speakers minimum. And if you want awsome sound quality and speakers that will last you a lifetime and will reatain there value and you will never have to upgrade then plan to blow around $3000 you will never regret buying top quality speakers you will love um forever good luck and let us know how things turn out good luck stewart

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!