TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Homemade HD Antenna

by hyghwayman / March 21, 2007 9:40 AM PDT

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I found this forum that had a DIY section about building a antenna.

Well it looked easy enough, so I built mine last night and put it up today. I'm getting 45 Digital stations w/ about half of them in HD also all my local analog stations are coming in crystal clear now too.
Here is the link to the forum w/ all the info on how to build one.
http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9613&st=80

With my store bought antenna I was getting on average a signal strenth of about 85 (1 to 100) w/ dropouts, now w/ my homemade antenna my signal is holding at 98 w/ no dropouts at all.

Happy Days Ahead,
hyghwayman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Homemade HD Antenna
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Homemade HD Antenna
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ok
by hyghwayman / March 21, 2007 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Homemade HD Antenna

watched TV last night w/ my homemade antenna hooked up and had zero drop-outs, my signal held at 95 all night long. We are going to have T-storms move through today and should provide a good test. I'll post back later.

hyghwayman

Collapse -
My Weekend Project...
by analyzerbunny / March 21, 2007 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

...Is going to be to get some stuff together and build my own. I get pretty good reception with a basic rabbit ears set up, so I'm hoping to pull all kinds of goodness in with a home-built jobbie.

8^)

Collapse -
cool ,
by hyghwayman / March 21, 2007 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: My Weekend Project...

was wondering if anyone else would. I am going to build another 1 for my sons TV. I may even build a much bigger 1, to see if I can receive even more distant OTA broadcast.
Here is a link to the picture of my 1st antenna.

http://umbrellaceo.spaces.live.com/photos/

hyghwayman

Collapse -
Dang...
by analyzerbunny / March 22, 2007 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: cool ,

cant view the pics at work.

Anyway, I was wondering. Do you think building the thing horizontal, with the bowties pointing up and down would affect the signal?

See, I want to build one just the right size to fit behind the 40" tv. So if the thing had a small, subtle stand, and occupied that space behind the tv, nobody would really see it.

I guess I could build just two bowties, but I think if i turn it horizontal, I could get 6 bowties in there and still not have the thing be any larger than the space behind the screen.

vas danks du?

8^)

Collapse -
when you...
by hyghwayman / March 22, 2007 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Dang...

get home look at my picture and other on the forum web page for more ideas. I truely think this can be built any way you want as long as you keep the spacing lengths correct.
I tried my out in my bedroom before setting it up out side and it worked lying on my bed, standing in the corner. Some positions produced better results of course.

Good Luck,
Hyghwayman

Collapse -
nice
by bevillan / March 22, 2007 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: when you...

I like the pics but would you really put something like that ontop of your house? I would paint it silver or white.

Collapse -
It can't be as bad as my neighbor with..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: nice

Not 1 but 2 sat dishes on the front of their house. Mine is discreetly placed on the rear and I even found a spot I can't see it from most windows. Their installer appears to have never given any thought to bolting such to the front of the house above the doorway.

Bob

Collapse -
Um...
by analyzerbunny / March 22, 2007 2:33 AM PDT

What were you doing with your new antenna on the bed...then in the corner. I hope you had clothes on!

Collapse -
LoL
by hyghwayman / March 22, 2007 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Um...

hehe, yes I did have my clothes on. The TV in my bedroom was the most covienent to test it with.

hyghwayman

Collapse -
Prepare to get GEEKY
by analyzerbunny / March 22, 2007 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: LoL
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Here is a link that will let you enter your street address and determine what the exact azimuth and distance and frequency each digital or analogue station is relative to your humble abode. I put in my "spam" email address, but it doesnt appear to need it in order to turn out tons of results.

Get your compass out!
Collapse -
HI FREEWAY MAN SOUNDS AWSOME
by stewart norrie / March 22, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

I wish I could put up a huge tower and far out antenna system because It seems I live in a sweet spot for over the air channels but living in a mobil home, cant go there. I live in san jose ca rite near the bay which gives me a clear shot nice and flat for tons of over the air transmissions I even pick up 3 sacremento stations anyway time to loose at poker again steweeeee

Collapse -
Well you could add more bowties,
by jcrobso / March 25, 2007 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: cool ,

But that would also make it more directional, aiming it would be more critical.
The flat arrangements are more onmidirectional, The ones in a straight line tend be unidirectional. john

Collapse -
true
by hyghwayman / March 25, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

I was told that if i put a reflector (oven rack) behind it and cross the top and bottom connecting leads that it will be even a better antenna.

hyghwayman

Collapse -
GO TO THIS WEB-SITE...........
by Riverledge / March 23, 2007 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: ok
http://www.antennaweb.org

It'll give you all the info you need; plus some you don't!
Click on "choose an antenna",
Fill in your Zip-Code and see the possibilities.

Best viewing,
river032307.
Collapse -
I understand that you are getting more channels but,
by jarandall / March 22, 2007 1:01 PM PDT

aren't they just standard ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX channels from a different city?
You aren't getting channels that you would have to pay for, correct?

Collapse -
yes
by hyghwayman / March 22, 2007 4:09 PM PDT

You are correct, however the over lapping of networks adds to my viewing selection. Heres the breakdown
ABC x 3 = 3 analog, 3SD, 3HD (9)
CBS x 3 = 3 analog, 3SD, 3HD (9)
NBC x 3 = 3 analog, 3SD, 3HD (9)
WB x 3 = 3 analog, 3SD, 3HD (9)
Fox x 3 = 3 analog, 3SD, 3HD (9)
PBS x 2 = 2 analog, 6SD, 2HD (10)
Christian channel " " (6)
17 analog, 38SD/HD =61total channels to choose from!
TV markets don't all broadcast the same programs at the same time and most have different program line ups.

Wow, I just noticed I'm getting a lot of free channels in DS/HD, almost like having cable without the monthly BILL. hehe Grin
PBS has some great Nature shows in HD, Fox has Nascar, CBS has Survivor, 24, NCAA Basketball just to name a few good things to watch on OTA local and now distant Broadcastings! Wink

hyghwayman

Collapse -
Nature on PBS
by analyzerbunny / March 23, 2007 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

That is a show that should be viewed at big electronic stores to test out the TVs ability to generate a realistic picture. Last nite they had some underwater show on that was just insane. Super clear, super crisp, amazing colors....my 40" 720p was pegged trying to display all those colors.

Its defenately worth tinkering around with antenna to pick this stuff up.

Collapse -
picture
by hyghwayman / March 24, 2007 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Nature on PBS

My TV and I love the Nature shows on PBS now.

hyghwayman

ps Wife likes'em too

Collapse -
DO YOU GET "THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC" CHANNEL?
by Riverledge / March 24, 2007 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: picture

THEY HAVE HD & SD I BELIEVE. ANY Discover HD channel looks awesome.

river032407.

Collapse -
How many hours
by HTHMAN / March 25, 2007 3:14 AM PDT

have you spent watching the sun rise in HD?

Collapse -
MORE SUNSETS, TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH...........
by Riverledge / April 2, 2007 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: How many hours

riverledge.

Collapse -
Building a ...
by hyghwayman / March 30, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

new antenna w/reflector and will post back with reception results. Also will be crossing upper and lower wires. Hope to improve reception of channels over 45 miles away.

Have a GREAT day all,
hyghwayman

Collapse -
2nd antenna...
by hyghwayman / April 2, 2007 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Building a ...

was much worse than my 1st build. So I put the 1st build back up. Now i'm thinking maybe the transformer may be defective. Someday I may switch them out, for now though I'm extremely happy w/ the results I'm getting w/ my very simple antenna.

hyghwayman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.